The Hancocks Between the Raindrops, 10/6/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
October 6, 2012: The Hancocks

Trails: Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, Hancock Loop Trail

Summits: North Hancock, South Hancock

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

A short time before Sue arrived I decided to make one more check on the weather. Reviewing the history on the National Weather Service site I could see it was raining or misting all night, and the current conditions showed more of the same. The forecast predicted cloudy conditions until roughly 2:00pm and then more rain. Based on the forecast we had just enough time for the hike with no precipitation. Sue pulled in, tossed her things into the truck, and we were on our way north.

We exited at Lincoln and headed east on the Kancamagus Highway with wet roads, but nothing falling. At the Hancock Notch trailhead there was only one other vehicle already there; leaf peepers. We quickly took care of final hike prep and got started. Everything was wet from the overnight rain and the sky was overcast with high clouds.

The early hike to the junction with Cedar Brook Trail went well. There was very little mud and the small streams crossing the trail were no problem at all. Just before the Cedar Brook junction, two young guys blew past. We met them at the junction but soon after they flew by again and were gone. I’m not fast but I was hoping book time was fast enough to do the hike before the rain returned.

Cedar Brook Trail was not at all like it was on our last visit. The unusually dry trail conditions have been replaced with normal; the mud and standing water is back. Cedar Brook Trail between the junctions with Hancock Notch Trail and Hancock Loop Trail is a very messy place. We made our way through this section; past the mud pits and through the multiple stream crossings eventually reaching the Hancock Loop Trail and drier trail conditions.

A short distance from the start of Hancock Loop Trail, after the stream crossing, we came to a couple blowdowns across the trail. They were too substantial to move but a few minutes with a saw would certainly take care of them. From there the trail was generally clear around the loop and back down. We reached the split and went left to hike the loop going clockwise.

After crossing the disappearing stream and on our way up to the North peak, the two young guys that passed us earlier passed us again doing the loop in the opposite direction. I think there may have been some comments made but we continued the climb. Eventually we reached the area of the blowdowns near the summit, the trail eased up, and we made the final walk to the sign post. Views were pretty limited but we wandered to the open ledge to enjoy what we could find there.

After a few pictures we were on our way to South Hancock. The trail between the peaks has some really nice mud pits and based on Cedar Brook Trail I was pretty sure the high pits were back to normal as well. Everything between the peaks was in great shape and the pits were the pits. Go slow and watch your step – it isn’t that tough. The really bad one has a herd path bypass that has been getting plenty of traffic. We arrived to South Hancock with clean and dry boots, and still no rain.

We stopped for a quick energy shot from some peanut butter squares Sue had in her pack. There were a couple spares and Sue made friends with a couple hikers going the opposite way. Soon we were on our way down to the loop split. We weren’t pushing the pace at all but didn’t spend much time standing around either. We reached the loop split and stopped long enough for me to get rid of my jacket; then we were on our way. A short distance before reaching the junction with Cedar Brook Trail the rain started and soon increased from sprinkles to steady light rain. We stopped to cover up. With the rain gear in place we were on the final cruise to the trailhead.

Our rain gear works really well. The light rain stopped almost immediately. We knew it was a tease and kept moving. Occasionally we were hit with light sprinkles and more rain all the way to the trailhead but never anything significant until we reached the trailhead lot. As we were walking to the truck the rain seemed to increase in intensity with each step. We arrived to the truck and the sky opened. We tossed our things into the back. I found an open space in the pavilion to swap footwear while Sue climbed into the truck and relaxed. The pavilion was packed with leaf peepers not wanting to get wet. After I finished the change and got into the truck we enjoyed watching an entertaining show of crazy driving in the parking lot. I was thinking it was a lot like a boat ramp at the end of a hot, sunny day.

We saw an opening and made our move. In no time we were on The Kanc headed for Lincoln Woods and some dry clothes; and then I-93 headed south.

Pictures...

Photos will continue to be posted on Facebook. Since Webshots is shutting down I'll find a replacement site and post there as well. More later....

:)