The Hancocks via Arrow Slide, 7/20/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
July 20, 2013: The Hancocks

Trails: Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, Hancock Loop Trail, Arrow Slide, Bushwhack

Summits: North Hancock, South Hancock

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

We went into the day knowing the weather forecast wasn’t a particularly good one, but sheltered hikes should be compatible with the predictions. We planned for a couple hikes with a weather/lunch break in the middle. As it turned out, the experts really missed this one; in the right direction. We enjoyed very nice weather conditions for the hike; the hike itself was a different story.

Generally on-plan, we arrived at the Hancock Trailhead and took care of final hike prep. Three other hikers were already there and set off ahead of us. Soon we were hiking. Hancock Notch Trail was in great shape. The several small stream crossings were running higher than normal for this time of year but they were still easy rock-hops to get past. Cedar Brook Trail is muddy, really muddy. The multiple crossings of Cedar Brook are easy with some of the rocks slightly submerged, which helped to keep the mud washed off the boots; remember – Cedar Brook Trail is really muddy. We made it to the Hancock Loop Trail junction and headed for the loop split.

We had decided if the conditions were dry we would climb North Hancock first via Arrow Slide. We reached the loop split and went left for North Hancock. The conditions were dry and there were no threatening clouds. We were heading for Arrow Slide. After leaving the loop split, the trail drops to a brook bed that is usually dry at this time of year. We arrived to find the area flooded and a strong flow coming down the stream from the east, (South Hancock side). The only time I have seen this area flooded has been in spring conditions. We started up the trail leading away from this low area and then went off-trail to the bottom of Arrow Slide.

Once we worked our way onto the bottom of Arrow Slide there was a stream flowing straight down the run out area of the slide. I recall making the comment we can climb as high as is safe then bushwhack if necessary. As we climbed we could clearly see the wet conditions became more significant with elevation. As we were approaching the open area of the slide we could see the wet conditions went completely from side to side on the open slabs. On the extreme west side of the slide were some dry rocks, but we climbed that area once before and found it to be a dead-end for our purposes. Climb to the top of the section on the left and there is no good way to cross over to the right side of the slide to finish the climb to the top. We continued up the main slide until it became clear any further would be unsafe.

It was time to bushwhack past the bad areas. We exited the slide on the east side and started up. The growth is generally very thick but we spent time locating the most open paths that would still gain elevation. Eventually we were above the first really bad section of slabs on Arrow Slide but there was no good approach to getting back onto the slide. We continued up and soon were approaching the upper part of the slide in elevation. We had a choice to either bushwhack left to get back on the slide only to leave it soon to bushwhack back to the trail, or simply head for the trail. We bushwhacked straight to the trail and landed on it at roughly the same location where we had on a previous climb of Arrow Slide. Okay, that was easy. We were bushwhacking in shorts, I had short sleeves and Sue was sleeveless, and there was an amazingly limited amount of visible blood. Not bad.

We headed to the summit of North Hancock, got the usual summit pictures, visited the viewpoint for a few more pictures, and set off for South Hancock. While on the viewpoint we could see the only dark clouds that were anywhere around were already flying past. It seems the weather experts missed, again; and again they were wrong in the right direction.

From North Hancock to South Hancock we had a pleasant breeze to enjoy; the forecast predicted 25 to 35 mph and I would guess it was closer to the 25 mph prediction; great insect control. The usual mud pits are big and wet with no signs of drying out. There are multiple ones that we have seen relatively solid and dry by now but not this year. Even the small ones are potentially very messy. There is a project to install bridges at one of the bad ones. It appears that raw materials were probably air-lifted in by helicopter and there is now a big pile waiting for assembly.

We cleared the last of the pits and were soon on South Hancock getting our usual summit pictures. We stayed there for a brief break and set off for the exit hike. The trail leaving South Hancock is extremely steep and loose. Roughly half-way down my footing gave way and I took a pretty good tumble. I was surprised to pick myself up from the rocks and find no significant areas of fresh blood. I was able to tell my poor right shoulder took a pretty good shot, and my back was going to start screaming soon and possibly my hip; the fall included some interesting twisting action. We took another short break and continued on our way out.

By the time we reached the loop split my back and hip were starting to really bother me. I pulled out some pain meds to help. Even though they aren’t immediate, they would certainly provide some benefit well before we reached the trailhead.

From there we were able to cruise back through the relatively minor obstacles along Hancock Loop, Cedar Brook, and Hancock Notch trails to the trailhead. The climb to North Hancock took more than the planned amount of time, quite a bit more. Considering the time and the consequences if the tumble while descending from South Hancock, I suggested we call it a day. I wasn’t in very good shape to set off for another pair.

We packed our things, made a quick change at Lincoln Woods, and hit the highway south.

Pictures will follow.

:cool:

Although I continually say that I don' like bushwhacking, I often find myself off trail and having fun. I would assume this is the result of being dropped on my head one too many times as an infant. :eek:

Too bad we were not able to get back on the slide. I really like slides. :D

I hope you are not feeling any ill effects from the tumble. Since I was in front, you can't accuse me of tripping you. :rolleyes:

Thanks for a fun day out. :)