The Hancocks via Hancock Notch, Cedar Brook, and Hancock Loop Trails - 3/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Mar. 23, 2013

Trail Conditions: Someone on the trail said it was their first winter hike. I mentioned it was actually spring. We both looked around in the windy, snowy, blizzard-like conditions and laughed. Spring... yeah, right. The trails were all in rough shape due to people bare booting. I was surprised what with all the recent snow and the stuff falling on us that more folks weren't using snowshoes. By all the divots it seems it was a given what to put on one's feet. We flattened things out the best we could and mother nature will take care of the rest filling it all in so no real harm done other than the discomfort of walking in divots and butt-sledding tracks all day. Hancock Notch Trail was clear sailing, maybe one easy-under blowdown. Cedar Brook Trail was in slightly worse shape with more blowdowns. Moreover, it was confusing in places with several herd paths going off trail. Fortunately I've been on it enough to know to take the actual trail, but it is a mess of false paths. Hancock Loop was in decent shape, but the connector over the saddle, while right on target, was full of mostly short postholes and pretty choppy over all, but the wind and snow should fix that tonight. I must say, the depth of the drifts as we approached the south summit was remarkable. Huge, many blazes right at snow level now! We were told by some folks coming down the north side that the traverse across wasn't broken out and that they turned around hitting only one summit, but it was broken, just roughly with bare boots (making it tough going without snowshoes I suppose). There were also a couple of blowdowns up there, too, but nothing hard to manage. All crossings were easy offering a mix of open water, snow bridges, ice, and rocks, but there are thinning spots and busting through in places is quite possible. Be careful.

Special Equipment Used: We used snowshoes for the entire hike, no question it was the only way to roll. Trekking poles were helpful probing the snow-covered crossing ice. Snow depths on the trail must still be a good five to six feet (!) in the trees at higher elevations (much of the higher trail's canopy is now at face level making things tighter in places); so there are sections of this route in which wearing glasses might not be a bad idea so as to prevent eye injury. At least be aware of this possibility when you're up there.

Comments: Hiked this one a friend, Jocelyn, and despite the snow and wind, it was a terrific day to be out in the Whites. Met a soon-to-be VFTTer "TJ" (who recognized me at the trailhead). He and his friends were cross-country skiing to Ethan Pond Shelter to spend the night. Very cool plan and I hope they are having a great time.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH

Last edited: