The New Jersey Palisades - a great day's trek for those who don't live in N.H.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Living in the greater NYC area, I don't get to the north country of NY, VT, NH or ME as often as I would like. But I thought I'd mention a spectacular place just a subway ride away from New York City: The Palisades.

That impressive escarpment running along the west side of the Hudson River for some 15 miles is as spectacular as many places 200 or 300 miles further north. It's one of my favorite running spots, and bikers likewise love the place. But my experience there started as a hiker and that remains one of the most pleasurable ways to experience the area.

I recently posted a note on the Palisades on my running blog (Beyond Central Park). But this particular post might appeal to hikers and bikers as well. So if you're from my area and you just can't make the long trip up north, consider this alternative.

And even if you're not likely to be visiting my area very soon or very often, you may enjoy the photos.

TitlePicture2.jpg

Here it is: The Palisades: Running (or Hiking) the Trails and Roads

Enjoy
Rg

Last edited:
The palisades is pretty interesting mixture of old history, homeless people, suicide attempts, an old amusement park and the long path. I explored a bit of the area many years ago from the rich town of Alpine, NJ and found it pretty interesting with the usual great views of the hudson and years of litter and neglect, dispersed with some rocky steep trails.

Jay

The palisades is pretty interesting mixture of old history, homeless people, suicide attempts, an old amusement park and the long path. I explored a bit of the area many years ago from the rich town of Alpine, NJ and found it pretty interesting with the usual great views of the hudson and years of litter and neglect, dispersed with some rocky steep trails.

Jay
HI Jay

One thing I would say is that in recent years the park is very well cared for. I've never seen signs of "years of litter and neglect" and it's rare that you even find a candy bar wrapper on the trails.

Of course the lower areas where tons and tons of folks congregate at the major picnic area are perhaps "littered with people", but even there the place is kept clean -- just don't do your inspection at 8:00 PM Sunday evening in the summer.

I think besides the State of NJ, there is probably a volunteer group that helps. And perhaps the NYNJT looks after the trails.

Great place.

Last edited: