The Scaur via Kettles Path and Scaur Trail (WVAIA)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewKnight

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Sunday, July 6, 2008

Trail Conditions: Mostly dry trail in great condition

Special Equipment Required: None

Comments: Really nice, late-afternoon, impulsive, solo-blast. I rode my mountain bike to the Kettles Path (part of the way in, even; if you're competent on medium single-track, you could easily ride the first third or so of the .9 mile trail. Since I was alone, I didn't try this), then docked it to a tree off the Livermore Road. Bike-spotting cut probably 45 minutes to an hour off total transit time, and made for a nice cooling breeze on the way back home.

The Kettles Path is a lovely woods-walk along a ridgeline among glacial "kettles" of surprising depth. Once past the Kettles, I was surprised to find huge amounts of moose sign everywhere. Lacking ForestGnome's stealth, though, I only saw piles of poop. I had dosed fairly liberally with picaridin-based Off "Clean-Feel" before leaving the house, and was pleasantly surprised that it kept the modest number of mosquitoes and some persistent deer-flies at bay (without making me feel like I had oiled myself up for beach duty).

The remaining 2/10s of a mile of the Scaur Trail is fairly steep but well maintained with excellent footing, and the views back toward Tecumseh, Sandwich, et al were absolutely astounding for the effort involved. The Scaur is now on my short list of "maximum views for minimum effort", especially with a bike-spot to cut out the Livermore commute.

Your name: DrewKnight