the sewards 1/8 - Corey's Rd? Snow?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markandkelly

Reaction score
on top of Haystack, our 46th and our engagement!
A group of us are going for a hike this weekend, and the Sewards made our list of hikes we want to do. We'll probably head in early Saturday morning and try to do Donaldson and Emmons. We'll watch the snow that's coming through.

If anyone has good info on how much snow the high peaks have gotten in the past week, that would be great. Also, any info on Corey's Road would be great. As of 1/3 the DEC website says Corey's Road is open. Does anyone know anything else?

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg5/hptrails.html

I'll give a call to the ranger and post what I find.

It looks like my brother-in-laws Jeep might come in handy...or we might find ourselves hiking in a different area :)

Anybody up for a good hike?

Mark

As of last Friday the road was still open to the summer trail head. It was very rutted. There was rain and cold weather last weekend so I am not sure what the condition is now. Ed and I decided not attempt parking at the summer trailhead last weekend because we didn't think we would get out on Sunday due to the ice, even with a 4 wheel drive vehicle. A four wheel drive would be a good choice.

Worst conditions possible!

The road is wall to wall glare polished ice. 4WD will just make your car spin in circles faster. A person was in before the ice storm and barely made it out in 4WD with 350 lbs of sand and four or five hours of nightime fun. If we get snow on top of that to hide the danger beneath, someone could drive down the hill and into the swamp and we'll be putting up a memorial plaque for them.

Use extreme caution!

corey's road is open

I spoke to a ranger today who said that the gate is still open and the road is passable. She said that they got a couple of inches of snow up there.

We will probably go up and give it a shot. We'll bring some good gear for the road, a Jeep, 4WD, chains for the tires, a winch, a tow rope, and 4 hearty souls :)

Mark

Just because the road is still open, why risk getting stuck in there? If the conditions are poor, no tow truck will go in after you. Other options of vehicle retreival are MUCH more expensive. It's an easy 3.5 mile (or so) walk to the summer trailhead.

corey's road now closed

Thanks for the advice and the pictures. The conditions were just as described; glare ice under a few inches of new snow. We were prepared with tire chains and had no problems at all. We drove nice and steady to the summer trailhead.

On our way out we saw the tracks of what appeared to be a minivan that wasn't quite as prepared; the tracks ended up off the road. It looks like everyone made it out and the minivan was back at the bridge. We shouldn't have to worry about anyone getting stuck in a vehicle back there this winter as the gate is now closed.

Thanks again!
Mark

After looking at those pictures of Doc McPeak's if I was going in to the Sewards I would skate to the summer TH. I know it sounds a little weird but I'm sure its the best way until lots of snow falls. I would side step down the steeper sections.