Theory on "levels" of peakbagging

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you want a data point that's a real outlier, it took me 35 years to get around to finishing the last couple of the NH four thousand footers. My list is/was kept in a 1972 WMG that I bought new when it was first released. :) I actively resisted finishing the list for years...I grew to feel very comfortable with it being not-quite-complete. I don't foresee any change in my hiking/backpacking...it's a new experience every time, even when you've been somewhere a dozen times.

Don't forget the 47-ers...

There are those of us with just *one* left (!!). My last peak will be Isolation, one of these days... I started the year around 37 or 38, and had a great summer... then my MBA program started, and gas went through the roof! It made my many jaunts up north become less frequent!

But anyway... I think sitting on #47 is its own serene spot... I finally got back out to bag West Bond and Zealand, and it's just the one left... other than sapblatt, how many more are out there? I hope to soon graduate to the next numeric club, and wanted to make sure ol' 47 was acknowledged! :cool:

In my case I've created so many variations & lists that I can almost get mindless wandering onto a list.

For example: After 10 Lafayette trips & 11 Lincoln trips I've done them more than once in all seasons but summer - just once, using all the trails that access them in many but not all months of the year but lo & behold, never in the 4th Quarter so I'm planning on going back in a couple of weeks primarily because I enjoy these peaks but it meets the calendar list & the month of October lists. I'm planning on bringing a bike as I'm going to go up Liberty Springs & down Skookumchuck - my first hike & bike.

I don't want to mess with your plan, but you might find Washington a let down after the other 47 peaks you climbed. Personally, it's one of my least favorite peaks with the Cog and Auto Road, and gift shop and cafeteria, etc. I might feel a bit disgruntled to have hoofed it to 47 summits only to find throngs of people spilling out of vans and SUVs as I finish my 48. Just something to think about if it hasn't already occurred to you.

clg898,
We have thought of all the people up there. Others have told us that it's just too crowded and anticlimactic up there. But what a better way to trump all of the distractions than completing the 48's? It only seems fitting to hit the highest peak last. I do understand what you're saying though. Who knows, as of now we still have 28 more to go and I really don't know how it's going to end. We've still got many more mountains in between to enjoy. Maybe for planning or logistical purposes we won't be able to do Washington last.

At the other end of the spectrum what would be a nice secluded, 360 view to finish on? Maybe one of the Presies since we've done most of the S/SW summits.

List awareness.

My son and I were at 44/46 for the ADK's when he went away for the summer. So, what did I do? I started on another list, the ADK HH sounded way funkier anyhow. What I like about lists is that they take you eveywhere and give you a great overview of your area of interest. Upon completion you can drill down and focus on specific areas that are closer to your own personal likes.

Our experience with the ADK 46 was pretty much as outlined in the first post. Our 46th is this Sat. as a matter of fact!

Karl Hungus said:
At the other end of the spectrum what would be a nice secluded, 360 view to finish on? Maybe one of the Presies since we've done most of the S/SW summits.

If need be a Presidential peak, I'd say Adams, it's still my favorite of all of them. If seclusion if your thing then I'd say one of the Bonds. Nothing really man made in sight there other than Loon Mtn. ski area and the observatory on Washington. Just green.... :)

ONE left to go!!
I never really thought about saving a particular one for #48....Carragain just seemed to fall to the back of the list...

Carragain it is! #48..... on Saturday, October 15th

Hope the weather is Sparkling to go with the Champagne! :D

All are welcome!

Snowshooz :p

Karl Hungus said:

The Bonds would fit the bill, as would Carrigan. Personally, I like looking at the Presis more than I like the view from the Presis. The Carter Range is my favorite in all the Whites, save the Bonds.

But, everyone has their own reasons for liking one mountain vs. another. They're all beautiful.

Snowshooz said:
ONE left to go!!
I never really thought about saving a particular one for #48....Carragain just seemed to fall to the back of the list...

Carragain it is! #48..... on Saturday, October 15th

Hope the weather is Sparkling to go with the Champagne! :D

All are welcome!

Snowshooz :p

I was just thinking about peaks I would finish #48 on as I wrote my last post and Carrigain came to mind as one that would be great to wrap up the 48 on. Great spot to drink it all in (the views and the champagne!) Have a blast and congrats!

jmegillon149 said:
4. Post-48 it seems to be a good variety of folks, some are bummed, and not sure what to do. Some find new hobbies, such as paddling, rock climbing, etc., some get all into the NE4K, HH, etc., while some just go back to the good spots.

Good thread! Post-48dom has been good to me thus far. I'm still hiking as much, but I've focused my obsessive compulsiveness on running and competing in that sport, and it's been a blast! As a result, I'm also really enjoying hiking more since I'm not obsessed on checking off what I need next. I just enjoy what the individual challenges have to offer and hiking where I please. It's nice! :D :D :D

This thread is interesting. The theory fits me well. The only difference is that I got the urge to bag since around #6. I am also now at stage 3 where I no longer feel the rush to finish and am exploring other hikes that I have wanted to do for a long time (welch dickey, moats, north kearsage) and revisit some favorites.

anita514 said:
I'm in the 'zone' right now and don't really feel any urge to hike all the wooded summits/4k peaks of a specific list.
I guess I'm not a peakbagger per se, I just like to climb mountains of significance and gain experience on mixed terrain rather than spend all my time and energy on some list.
If I could work on any list, it would be the CA/CO 14ers and all the Cascades[/QUOTE

For Me way back when the 48 was 46 it was some thing I did with my family . Only my father and I compleated the then 46. But it was what got me into Montianeering . I then did the "Winter 48 " After that I never have finshed any list . I do not have a list I am not good with lists even a shopping list ! But if some one enjoys that great. .I am sort of working on the 14 k list in CO but I really do not care if I ever finsh it . Personally I do not see what the big deal is if you like lists cool if not that is cool too. I would venture a guess that the 46 or 48 list has sent many on a long adventure well beyond the NE or a list . I just go back to my Favorites Now I could Climb The Bells. Pryamid and La Plata in Co the Grand or Gannette in WY , Laffyette ,Adams the Bonds in NH many times and have. Like Anita I just like to climb Mountians .
Like Anita I am not really peak bager I would rather Climb the Bells or Pryamid 100 times before climbing some wooded summit becuase it is over a certain alititude

Last edited:
That profile fits me pretty well...

except that I never committed myself to doing all 48. My goal was mainly to do a "respectable number" and establish my credentials as an experienced hiker. Consequently, I concentrated on the "interesting" ones first and now have only 8 relatively long and/or boring ones left (Cabot, Waumbek, Hancocks, M and S Carter, Zealand and Owl's Head). I don't care when or if I ever finish them.

Bob Kittredge said:
My goal was mainly to do a "respectable number" and establish my credentials as an experienced hiker. Consequently, I concentrated on the "interesting" ones first and now have only 8 relatively long and/or boring ones left (Cabot, Waumbek, Hancocks, M and S Carter, Zealand and Owl's Head). I don't care when or if I ever finish them.

wow...we are all so similar and yet so different :) ...the list of peaks you have not done are among my favorites, especially when you consider the routes to them...Zealand is nothing, but the walk there via the Zeacliffs and the Twinway is great...Cabot from the north is real cool with the Horn, Owl's Head Slide!!, Carters have the Imp, Waumbek has Starr King, and is a great, quick hike and I really liked the Hancocks too...

Hey wait a minute...I think I like all of the peaks! I guess Hale and Cannon would be on my not so great list...

My first 4K (first 2, actually) was Bigelow in July--of 1975.

First NH 4Ks were the Carters a couple years later. Although I became aware of lists quite awhile ago, I was not tempted to "do" them, preferring to climb mountains that appealed to me for various reasons and those that were quite easily accessible. I still haven't even climbed all the 4Ks in Maine.

Recently I began ticking them off, mostly because the lists give me ideas about new places to go and things to see, but also because they give me a chance to hike with VFTT folks. Who knows, maybe I'll complete one of the lists around 2035! :eek:

Mad Townie said:
Recently I began ticking them off, mostly because the lists give me ideas about new places to go and things to see, but also because they give me a chance to hike with VFTT folks.

I think this sums up what I feel about the lists. W/out the list, I would never have bushwhacked Cliff, or taken the scenic trail up Sawteeh. Without lists, I would probably have only climbed a few presis in the Whites. Without lists, I may have never made it up to Maine, to visit the HP.

The lists provide a goal, a reason to see new places. Where do I stand with the lists? I actually have forgotten what number I am on with all of them. Im about 1/3 the way through the NE115, and I'm not rushing it anymore. I get new peaks whenever I can, but I am happy to repeat those that others want to see. We have a habit of taking the toughest route on all of our hikes (Blake, Sawteeth, Haystack, Field, Cliff etc.) and we have always been rewarded for it. I would hope that all peakbaggers do the same once in a while.

-percious

Snowshooz said:
ONE left to go!! I never really thought about saving a particular one for #48....Carragain just seemed to fall to the back of the list... Carragain it is! #48..... on Saturday, October 15th

Another finish on Carrigain! Congrats!!

4 of us finished there together last fall, it was a great time.

Hope yours is memorable too!

Coming out of lurk mode to reply to this interesting topic.

I had done many small hills in Western Mass thru my years at college. I finished that up in 96, then hadn't hit a trail for several years. In March 2002 I decided to make a great change in my life and quit smoking cigarettes.

The month of March was tough, as I managed to get laid off from my job and my wife couldn't kick the habit(still smokes today!). Anyways April rolled around and I decided getting back in shape was my next priority. I grabbed my dog and on a perfect April day we hit the Welch-Dickey Loop Trail. I was hooked.

I discovered the 48 4K list and that became my next goal. Started with Tecumsuh and have made it to 27 so far. Repeated Cannon and the Kinsmans last week for my dog to catch up and one of my buddies needed to hit Cannon. So happy to re-do that trip. What a nice hike!

Can't wait to sit on top of #28 this weekend and listen to the Sox take out the Yanks!

Me & Harpua said:
Repeated Cannon and the Kinsmans last week for my dog to catch up

That's funny. My pooch loves to hike but I don't think he's working on any lists... :D

Good to see you on the posting side of Views!

-Shayne

Last edited:
When my wife and I started hiking,we went into backpacking mode right away. It's all about the overnight trips. With that in mind,we discovered the "48" and started our mission."Let's hike them all and camp near summits". That started well in October-but winter came and after some really hairy trips we decided this winter peak stuff was too much. We still do 4k's now and then,but only in winter or late fall,and we camp low. We have about 9 or 10 done,and may never do them all.
One thing I had to do was above tree line in winter. We did Eisenhower last Feb. and it was awesome. More of that planned for this season(but not 9.5 mile treks!)
For us it's not about just peakbagging-it's about going in and spending the night. There are so many great trips in the Whites that don't have a lot of altitude,but still have great views.
Guess we're just disfunctional peakbaggers! :D