Things to do around Arlington, VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing another short bike tour this memorial day weekend since I have a 4 day weekend. I was thinking about taking my Salsa and load it up with some basic hiking gear and backpacking supplies and biking from my abode in Pittsfield up to someplace along rt 7/7Aish... Was thinking of Emerald Lake state park but they seem to be booked but there are probably some private campgrounds that I can reserve and looking at one in Arlington VT. What are some good things to check out in the area, doesn't have to be all hiking, but I've climbed Equinox and Dorset Peak, is there anything short that would be fun in the area. I wont have the most gear (as I am touring) so will stick to trailed well marked peaks that I could perhaps even do in my bike shoes or trail runners...

Also willing to find out the touristy things around there.. Hildane Manor, etc....

Been also looking at the D&H railtrail but that seems quite the trip since that is up in Poultney, VT...

Anybody want to go for a ride?

Jay

A visit to the Great Natural Bridge of Vermont (starting from Emerald Lake SP) is a worthy endeavor in the area. Hiking up the dry creek and returning via the woods roads makes a good day.

Bromley is nice 3 miler each way not too crazy. Myrick Mountain in Dorset is one of my favorites. It's not too crazy but it is longer and there are a lot of spur trails. But if you just keep heading South you should be fine. Both can be done in sneakers. The trails might be a little soggy though.

If your touring on your bike a really nice ride is to head west on river rd out of Arlington towards NY(parallels 313W) follow that over the border then take a right on Hickory Hill rd in Shusan. Follow that into Camden Valley taking another right(can't remember name of road) that takes you up into Sandgate and then follow that back into West Arlington to hook up with 313 and then back on River Road. I think it's around 30 or so miles. Some dirt sections but they should be in good condition and no problem for road tires.

I like White Rocks, 90+minute scramble up the face.

Exploring around the Danby mine is cool. There are some cool old quarries in Dorset/E. Dorset. If warm enough, you can't beat the Danby waterslide. You can covertly camp just about anywhere including Emerald Lake. Little Rock pond is a nice hike with a cabin/shelter. Riding up to the trailhead would be the crux and you can hide you bike in the bushes. Prospect rock is an easy hike with great views. Ditto whatever that peak is about long trail school.

Have fun, pm me if you want more beta.

Thanks, I have hiked Bromley (and Spruce before), those would require riding up the hill otherwise known as Rt 30... but Myrick and the Danby mines would be good suggestions...

Emerald Lake appears booked for mem day weekend..

I can handle dirt roads fine, just not technical singletrack. I have a Salsa Vaya with disc brakes and 1.5" wide Schwalbe Marathons and the bike is made for the occasional dirt roads...

Except right now, a lot of campgrounds seem booked for Mem day weekend so I might just push it back to a basic 3-day weekend which I get often. Arlington should be about a 60 mile ride from me, avoiding a bunch of VT7 and taking 7A around bennington...

Jay