Thinking about changing shoes…

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubahhh

Reaction score
I’ve been a happy Altra Lone Peak fan going all the way back to v2, but it seems each new iteration costs more and wears out faster. I’m thinking about either Topo or Xero and wonder if anybody here has thoughts about either, especially durability. Thanks in advance!

somewhere i read hiking boots last only 500 miles.

so 5 miles a day = three and a half months.

Lowa is my choice. get the unlined unless you are consistently in cold & wet conditions.

Merrill are not supportive for my dogs but i bought them a week when i had $100, and not the $250 for Lowas. an extra pair of shoes is not a waste, but i only wear them around the town (read - very seldom).

my Salomon boots were okay, but be advised they run a tad small. i gave mine away after i tried the Lowas.

I've become a big Lowa fanboy. I've found the durability to be excellent if used appropriately. E.g. don't expect their hiking soles to last on pavement.

I don't have these but they look intriguing.

LOWA Fusion® Lo | LOWA Boots USA

I just purchased the Lowa Renegade GTX mid boot...the pair of Raichles I had since '97...I've yet to get out with the Lowa's...paid a premium for them so just hope they last as long as the Raichles....

A warning,

The Lowa Cross sole and the Lowa Tactical Z soles are both poor on snow and ice.

Very durable on a variety of surfaces though. Pavement, concrete, gravel.

My Zephyr TF and and Z-6 mid TF work well with Hillsound Microspikes and Kahtoola K10's.

Yesterday, however, there was snow on only 1/3 of the length of the trail. I'm not a fan of marching over rocks and roots in microspikes.

I foolishly didn't budget enough time to put them on, take them off, and stuff them into the slightly too small bag every hundred yards or so.

I'll try to be better next time.

I've tried a couple of Xero shoes. The running shoes I got (can't recall the model name, sorry) were _very_, _very_ thin-soled. You're probably used to low-drop, but these are a step beyond. Not recommended on pavement, and require an adjustment period even on dirt trails. Even though I don't wear them very often (lots of pavement around me), the soles are starting to wear out. I believe xero makes some heftier shoes designed for trail running, but I was trying to find out just how close I could get to "barefoot", and the answer was: only in ideal conditions. As an everyday sneaker and for most of my running and hiking, I'm back to wearing Innov8 (Roclite 275, I think).
I love Xero's "barefoot" sandals ("Genesis" or "Cloud") - they weigh nothing, take no pack space, are comfortable, and let my feet breathe. Not enough support for soccer or hard running or tricky ledges, but for stream crossings or around camp, or crossing the hot part of the sand for a day at the beach, they're great.

Last edited:
I’ve been a happy Altra Lone Peak fan going all the way back to v2, but it seems each new iteration costs more and wears out faster. I’m thinking about either Topo or Xero and wonder if anybody here has thoughts about either, especially durability. Thanks in advance!
I don't have an opinion on the Topo and Xero but I wonder how many miles you are getting out of your LPs and how they are wearing out. The toe guard thing on the front delaminates very quickly, but I've been proactively shoe goo-ing that bit and it's never fallen completely apart. (Unlike a pair of Keens, but I digress.) I got about 300 miles out of my last pair of Lone Peaks, with the upper being ugly but solid and the sole wearing out. The current pair is at 213 miles; again ugly upper but the sole looks good. I also have the insulated Lone Peak Neoshell. Those have 300+ miles on them and look great cuz I use them in winter and they don't see many rocks.

I road run with Altras as well, currently the Escalante. The road shoes are good for 300-350 miles. Superfeet slate inserts help as well.

I’ve used LP since v2, usually a pair or two a year. My hope is always that the uppers last as long as the soles, and that hasn’t happened yet (I wear them as daily sneakers as well as hiking). The usual issues are the upper separating from the soles and the fabric ripping apart, especially on the outside right behind my toes. Other than that they’re terrific and I guess I’ll give v7 a shot unless I can find a good deal on v6. Have fun!