Thoughts on Great Gull Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
Anyone done this anytime recently? If so can you share your experience. I did King Ravine a few weeks back and looking over at this trail it looked crazy

great gulf

I hiked part of it last fathers day. I love that particular spot, every time ive been in the gulf, winter or summer, there were few people, and much of it is easy going. lots and lots of places to kick back and relax, plenty of tent sights....its got it all.

I am sorry, Great Gully

sorry guys I did not see my typo, I meant Great Gully Trail, up adams next to King Ravine

Did it many years ago in summer. Was rather steep.

If you are thinking of winter, it is steep enough to have a significant avalanche hazard--32 deg (from the topo). (For comparison, Great Gulf Tr is 37 deg.) It also has the potential for wind slabs from snow blown down from the plateau above. Might be easier and safer if you wait for the snow to settle.

Doug

I have done this route in the winter under very good conditions, ie. stable snowpack and great weather. This is a potentially dangerous route, I would rank it very high for white mountain routes of difficulty, be carefull and make sure the snowpack is VERY stable as this route is begging to slide often. :eek:

I've hiked it in the summer and found it challenging and rewarding. Last April we were hiking up the Airline and spotted three backcountry skiers slowly making their way down it. Seemed nuts to me, but I'm not a skier.

I've done this years back. We found several pitches of moderate water ice requiring a rope and belay followed by a long snow climb. It's a beatiful climb if conditions are good.

Possibly some of the ice may be covered by snow this late in the season. We saw lots of avalanche debris at the bottom of the gully, so make sure you can identify and avoid any avalanche hazard.