Tom, Field, and Willey with Alex: 3 Peaks, 2 Kind Strangers, and 1 Big Mistake (1/31)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much obliged, everyone, for the gentle words of support.

Still trying to figure out what on earth caused the temporary lack of my usual ultraprotective standards. Was I tired and therefore more prone to make judgmental errors? Whatever the cause, it won't happen again.

Much obliged, everyone, for the gentle words of support.

Still trying to figure out what on earth caused the temporary lack of my usual ultraprotective standards. Was I tired and therefore more prone to make judgmental errors? Whatever the cause, it won't happen again.

Just my 2 cents, having raised 2 boys and a girl and spent countless times in the emergency room (most of them for the girl), I think its more important that you help your children learn what there bounds are rather then make sure you always protect them. There will come a time when they go on their own and the most you can hope for is you've given them the skills to make good decisions.

Just my 2 cents, having raised 2 boys and a girl and spent countless times in the emergency room (most of them for the girl), I think its more important that you help your children learn what there bounds are rather then make sure you always protect them. There will come a time when they go on their own and the most you can hope for is you've given them the skills to make good decisions.

This is a good point, one that DaveBear was trying to get across to me earlier.

I agree, Alex is certainly experienced enough by now to start making her own judgement calls and decisions. That being said, she just turned seven and is therefore still a very young child, and the problems that arise from getting hurt on the trail are far more serious than if she got hurt sledding in our backyard. Also, in this specific circumstance, I had just told her it was safe, so she was trusting my word on the situation.

I do try to have her make the calls most of the time (she navigated through the low visibility on Moosilauke a few weeks ago, she did a fine job). In the end, though, she is my responsibility, and if she gets hurt the fault lies with me and me alone.

Anyway, we both learned a few things this past weekend, and neither one of us are about to make the same mistake twice.

Now, onward and upward.

I have to admit I haven't been a fan of sledding down any slope I can't see completely to the bottom since that night I went sledding 46 years ago (yes night, and not under the lights or even a big silver moon). That little adventure did end in the ER.
That said, I agree with the sentiments of Dr Wu, 1happyhiker and others – kids are tough and resilient, they usually bounce, and parenting is an adventure.
The point no one has mentioned is that it's the type of story legends are made of!! Alex racing down the mountain, around the bend, over the drop, sticking the landing, and scrubbing to a stop against the trees. Then looking back to see the pursuing adults, one hanging upside down! Pretty compelling stuff. It's a cautionary tale, but has the potential to include plenty of thrills and humor. I'm happy to read she got over the shock and fear. I'd like to trade stories if we ever meet on the trail. We can swap stories and compare scars. Oh yeah... she didn't get any scars...YAY!

The point no one has mentioned is that it's the type of story legends are made of!! Alex racing down the mountain, around the bend, over the drop, sticking the landing, and scrubbing to a stop against the trees. Then looking back to see the pursuing adults, one hanging upside down! Pretty compelling stuff. It's a cautionary tale, but has the potential to include plenty of thrills and humor.

Thanks -- our family was able to laugh about it at dinner that night. Not because we didn't fully realize what could have happened but thankfully didn't, but because, since no one got hurt, we could look for the humor in the situation.

Hugh suggested I write the TR with a more narrative and humorous spin, but I felt it more appropriate to just say exactly what happened. I figured maybe someone could learn from my mistakes if I wrote it straight, with no frills. Though, of course, most people probably already know not to send their kid sledding over the Willey ladders. :eek:

Last edited: