Touching the Void-PBS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the ENF retro climb at the Banff Film fest this year.

I remember the rope scene:
Even with the compromise of the added nylon core, the rope failed to hole a 70kg fall 15 meters. Both the climbers looked at each other when the rope snapped under the stress test and replied " I guess we don't fall"

:eek: :eek:

About a year ago I and some climbing friends went to the REI in boston to view a short documentary about how they filmed Touching the Void and to hear Joe Simpson speak. I was very impressed with his public speaking skills and of course the story itself is very inspiring. Its hard to imagine what both he and Simon Yates went through.

In the movie they talk about making a brew.... Does that mean tea or water?

I was thrown off by the fact that they ran out of fuel because it took too long to boil water at that altitude. Would have thought they'd just melt it and drink it cold. (I know I know boil for safety, but running out of fuel isn't too safe either)

A friend pointed out that they were English and Brew probably meant tea....

-Shayne

hilldog,

I was also at REI Boston when Joe Simpson gave his talk. I could sense his deep feelings about talking of his near death experience. His humor was both jovial and dark; his sensitivity and toughness both heartfelt.

Here are some photos from that night.

JohnL

I had a birthday last week and one kind soul bought me the "Touching the Void" DVD. Can't wait to watch the special features!

"Brown girl in the ring, lalalalala..............."

S.