Toxic Plastics ? - (moved from Q&A)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudhook51

Reaction score
Toxic Plastics ?

Today on a job site , another worker pointed out that the plastic bottle someone had filled with water and frozen was probaly toxic because the plastic breaks down when frozen. .The bottle in question was a gatorade bottle, I had a frozen nalgene bottle which is supposed to be safe. Has anyone heard this before?

NO I have not heard that. But tend to doubt it that is is true . Lots of stuff is placed in plastic containers frozen for many years
Just think of all the food you can buy frozen in a plastic container and it is probably shipped in a frozen plastic container. Seeing how some food you get in a restraunt at one time was frozen in some fro of plastics . I think it is safe to say the person was just BSing ya .

Yeah, I think the only thing to worry about is when you heat up plastics. Nalgene (Lexan/Polycarbonate) bottles tend to be more resiliant to heat than the typical plastic used else where. I think your all set with the cold stuff.

It's also important to remember that reusing plastic soda bottles is not recommended due to the leeching of chemicals (lower grade plastic). Likewise, 35mm film cannisters shouldn't be used for toothpase or anything else that you might ingest for similar reasons.

Double Bow said:
It's also important to remember that reusing plastic soda bottles is not recommended due to the leeching of chemicals (lower grade plastic). Likewise, 35mm film cannisters shouldn't be used for toothpase or anything else that you might ingest for similar reasons.
Not all plastics are "food grade". Many contain additives or some prior contents may have diffused into the plastic and may leach out into later contents. Only put ingestibles in containers designated for food use and retire them from food use if you put non-food in them.

Doug

Last edited:
just click it

Double bow - if you had clicked the links someone had posted above you would see that you are the victim of an urban legend.

Capoken said:
Double bow - if you had clicked the links someone had posted above you would see that you are the victim of an urban legend.

Actually, I did click the links and they reveal that Nalgene bottles are indeed safe and that freezing water has no ill effect. However, reusing soda bottles are 35mm canisters IS a risk.

See this article from theHealth Sciences Institute for details on soda bottles.

I agree with Double Bow. Plastics of lower grade should not be used multiple times. They are single use only. These include soda bottles, spring water bottles, gatorade bottles,ect. These #1 and #2 plastics will leach into their contents no matter what temperature they are stored at. If you have ever drank room temperature water from one of these containers you will actually taste the chemicals that have leached into the water, where as room temperature water from glass does not have that plastic taste. The reason why they don't use the higher quality plastics like #7 is because I don't think people would be willing to spend $10 on a bottle of soda. The benefits (profits for the drink company) far outweigh the negatives. Besides, when people are left in the dark about this stuff no one will question it and just take it for granted that the plastics are safe because it is everywhere. :eek: