Tragic News in NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More news

A New Hampshire park ranger who had been involved in many hiker rescues froze to death while camping in the White Mountains this week.

Authorities say 37-year-old Kenneth Holmes, who lived in Athol, Mass., was reported missing Wednesday. Friends say he was a park ranger at Monadnock State Park.

link

another article
Although Holmes was well equipped, including a tent and stove, “in these extreme temperatures it’s not always going to cut it,” Bryant said.

link

I curious about what he was wearing, before he took any articles of clothing off. Whatever it was, it wasn't enough.

I meant I want to know what he was wearing so I can get an idea of what clothing isn't warm enough for those temps. I know everyone wears different amounts, but it's still useful knowledge.

too cold for any clothing

In response to mongoose-

I don't think that any amount of down, fleece or other type of clothing would have helpped. With temps around -25 or lower and windchills bringing things to the -90 range. STAY INSIDE. I'm glad he was found and that his family didn't have to wait till spring or later for a recovery. I think that would have been even more difficult to deal with than his death.
I've also heard that in the late stages of hypothermia , after clothing removal, you get very tired and fall asleep.
At least he went doing what he loved.

Horrible news.

Naturally, my symathies to his family and loved ones.

I can't imagine going out in that kind of cold, but I can see the allure of it. If anybody has any knowledge of the sequence of events leading up to this tragedy, I would love to see it posted. I don't want to see any second guessing of his choices but I think it would be very instructive to understand what happened.

This is indeed very tragic. I read the articles, there was a lengthy one in yesterdays Globe. Mr. Holmes had the experience and the gear, but found himself in conditions that were more than he expected; a situation like that could happen to any of us. It sounded like the weather caught up with him as he was trying to bail out. I know that several times in my life I have gone out well prepared, only to find conditions to be more than anticipited. I suggest that we all take a moment to reflect on Kevins life and say a silent prayer for those that he left behind.

I curious about what he was wearing, before he took any articles of clothing off. Whatever it was, it wasn't enough

I have been out of the area for a few days without any newspaper or other medium.
Does anyone have an online link to pass on to me that would mention the cause of death or any additional info that was not mentioned in the story I linked out to this thread.

I'm sorry to rehash this, but obviously am very interested, as we all are, and any further info would be greatly appreciated.

My heart goes out to all who had aquaintence with Kenneth and family ... Very sad indeed
Thanks

Last edited:
Kenny called me tuesday at 9 pm from his tent. He was well equipped but when I read it was -45 on mt washington the next morning, I was nervous. I thought it was too cold to camp but not too cold to hike. The problem with where he was is the only way out was over an exposed ridge. He was found 3/10 down the summit of south twin towards galehead. He discussed the way out with me. I told him there was a hut down zealand, he hadn't been off guyot in that direction and wasn't sure how easy it was to follow that into the woods. He also didn't want to go down the steep pitches below zealand mountain, he had been up that way with me last summer. Down south twin was 2 miles shorter out and I was sposed to pick him up at the trailhead, whichever way he came out. I wish he had headed towards zealand, but hindsight is 20 20, maybe the same thing would have happened that way, or he would have gotten lost trying to find his way down. I remember having troubling getting up zealand one winter because the trail was lost near zeacliff. Depending on how strong he felt, he might also have gone over North Twin and out the north twin trail. I think he got up real early the next morning, because he had his headlamp on when found. I am very curious about what happened exactly, but I'm sure I will never find out. He had packed meticulously, indicating that he was fine when he was packing. His tent was not with him, he might have gotten out of his tent and figured I'm out of here, it's 30 bucks. It also might have fallen off. His windpants were lashed to the top of his pack. He would have been out of the wind on the trail, except for Guyot and South Twin summit. I wish he had put them on, as they add warmth anyway. He was very skilled at knowing what to wear in order to keep his body temperature from sweating or being cold, from all the times I hiked with him. My guess is, and this is only a guess, he got pinned by the wind on south twin for awhile, got cold, and by the time he fought his way over it, was hypothermic, and only made it another 3/10th farther. Having never been hypothermic, I don't know if the process takes longer than that. When I heard he had died, I thought it would be near his camp on mt bond summit, getting hypothermic while getting ready to head out. That was not the case. He had gone 3. 6 miles to South Twin summit, and was headed down from there. I think he was wearing polypro top and bottom, fleece pants, good koflach boots, and up top fleece and his nice gore tex shell over his polypro. His shell went halfway down to his knees. He would have had his gore tex balaclava I would imagine. This is what he wore when I was with him. I'm guessing he got cold fast, or he would have put another layer on. Maybe he was cold and figured he could blast off South Twin in a hurry, and the hypothermia happened quickly. Maybe if he was pinned, wind pants would have saved his life, maybe not. All this is conjecture. He headed out with 72 pounds, and had around 50 when he was found. He would have had a couple more layers in his pack i believe. This indicates that he was warm breaking trail(3 foot snow he said) and carrying the heavy pack. Going toward south twin was fairly level and he must have(?) built up some warmth. There is a moderate 400 foot climb towards south twin, with the peak mostly blocking the wind, in addition to the stunted trees that are a little over your head, and snow packed. It was his call when he got to Guyot. I wish he hadn't left so early in the morning, but that's the kind of guy he was. He was a marathon runner and a very strong hiker. I wish he had had wind pants on and another layer under his gore tex. Maybe he was pretty cold the whole time, and getting into the wind on south twin for even a minute pushed him into a state he couldn't recover from. Maybe his hands were cold and he didn't want to stop to put a layer on because of working the zippers. I hope this information was helpful. It is very difficult to think of my friend alone up there. I have gone over in my mind what I could have done to save him prior to calling in the rescue the next night, but if I had headed up early the next morning, he might not have even been on that trail, and was probably gone before I could have gotten to him. In any case, he was fine the night before, but said it was a little colder than he expected. He used a tangerine dream(-30) bag, and obviously survived his camp fine. I wonder if his stove didn't work in the morning, and I wonder lots of other things. I guess if you want to head out in conditions that cold, make it a place where you don't have to cross a ridge prior to heading down quickly, and make sure you don't have to get into the wind much even for only a minute or two.

hikerfast
thank you for the information..it must be very sad and difficult for all concerned....
spider

Last edited:
hikerfst,

Many, many thanks for your post.

Know that we grieve with you and his family.

Also know that our interest is neither morbid curiosity nor a wish to second guess or speculate. Rather, for those of us who leave loved ones at home to man the phones, it is to glean what we can so that we can learn.

On behalf of those of who share Kenny's love of the wild mountains, please pass our deepest condolances to his family.

Hikerfast,
I am very sorry for your loss, I can't imagine how tough it must be. I hope you stay around here at viewsfromthetop. It's a good bunch.

-Brian-

"hindsight is 20-20" said hikerfast

Ain't that the truth.

Let's just all hope we've learned something from this.

TJ

Last edited:
Hikerfast,

My deepest condolences to you and his family. Thank you for sharing that story, it must have been hard.

Having lost a friend to a sport that he loved, I know there is no solace in knowing that "he died in a place that he loved" but here is to hoping he is in a place of beauty and peace and to time dulling the pain for those he left behind.

sli74

Hikerfast,

So sorry to read about the tragic loss of losing such a good friend in such a sudden and sad way. It's heartbreaking to read the details and imagine what it must have been like for Kenny. It really is sobering to realize how someone so experienced could end up in such a situation. I hope you, his family, and other friends find comfort. I'm sure Kenny would want that.