Trail 123 (the trail to Adams & Allen) & Upper Works to Henderson Lake - 8/8/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Trail 123 (the trail to Adams & Allen) & Upper Works to Henderson Lake - 8/8/2012

Date of Hike: 8/8/2012

Trail Conditions: Dry, even the muddy spots mentioned in the High Peaks guide that I remembered from my Allen trip were only damp.

Special Equipment Required: suntan lotion & short sleeves, the cool dry air from Monday & Tuesday is gone! A couple of blow downs in the three miles we did, none that were an issue. Poles a plus crossing Lake Jimmy.

Comments: Optional - Blueberries - gone, blackberries, coming in, plenty of ripe ones along the way. We went just a bit past the gate dividing the Kronos property from the Finch piece (the newly purchased Finch piece?). Water levels were low, kids found a place a bit above the Hudson crossing where it was just above their ankles. The Lake Jimmy bridge is crossable but sketchy, poles a big plus. Since we carried our boots/shoes & started in sandals at the beginning, we each brought one pole. Nicholas did not have sadals but I had a spare pair that were fairly adjustable. Still too big for his size six feet but it probaly is just a few years away until they are too small. (they were 12's) Opalescent looks low especially when you se the debris left from Irene.

They are refurbishing the Oberver's cabins near the Adams trail junction, we ventured a bit up Adams, just a 1/10th of a mile or so, scouting for next year. I may wait for the next guide book to come out with updated Allen directions before I go again. We also went up to Henderson Dam, Henderson Mountain (the peak you see just to the right as you spand near the spillway?) looks pretty impressive. Saw a deer in that short section of trail between Upper Works and the Henderson Lake junction

Kristina, Nicholas & Mike P.
[email protected]