"Trail Angels" documentary

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also watched the show and found it very entertaining and quite interesting. I've never done at AT, couldnt handle being out that long, but find the culture and commitment of those who do it very impressive.

I enjoyed reading this yesterday.
I would love to do that kind of thing but don't live close enough to the AT.

I do carry very large Snicker bars for them. when I hike in VT . Never had a thru hiker refuse.
I enjoy them so much and love listening to their stories.

I remember reading either here or at R.o.T. about a group of hikers that did a "taco bar" on Old Speck for thru, over night and day hikers alike. That just sounds awesome to hike around a corner and run into and am sure would be a blast to do for your fellow hiker.

I remember reading either here or at R.o.T. about a group of hikers that did a "taco bar" on Old Speck for thru, over night and day hikers alike. That just sounds awesome to hike around a corner and run into and am sure would be a blast to do for your fellow hiker.

My partner and I were ending a 20 mile day in NY on a southbound thruhike in September of 2000. It was gettting late, we were tired, and as we got close to Dennytown Road Campsite, we heard the noise and laughter of an obvious party. Not quite sure what to expect, we cautiously approached the campsite and saw a huge fire alongside a stack 10 feet high of wooden fencing ready to burn. About 20 very happy people were around.

As we were setting up our tent at a good distance away, down comes "Billy" from this party, swaying a little under his beard and the weight of his Solo cup. He invites us up for food. As it turns out, it was a very friendly and generous group that met there yearly from all over for a weekend gathering. They said they had always fed hikers/thruhikers coming through but it was the last night and hadn't had any yet that year. I hope they're still meeting there!

Then they showed us the venison tenderloins, clams, Swedish meatballs, chili, chips, salads, Budweiser kegs, and a table with 15 or more potent bottles. We had hiked almost 800 miles at that point over 2 months. I cried tears of joy. I hugged people.

Trail angels rock. There were many others.

I'm anxious to see this film now...

Last edited:
While I think there is probably a great spirit of camaraderie and fun in these endeavors, I find the glorification a little over-the-top. Thru-hikers are on a voluntary hiking vacation. Sure, it may be challenging and uncomfortable, but no one has to do it. It's awesome that some folks want to help thru-hikers achieve their personal goals, but to associate that with ideas like "heroes" or "sacrifice" just rings false to me.

The well-known trail angels are just awesome and give more of themselves than you think could be humanly possible at times. It's great that this film finally puts the spotlight on them. They are an amazing help to every passing hiker and barely ask for anything in return, they just love the feeling of giving. With the AT as popular as it is, some trail angels give more than the "donation jar" takes in.....whether some hikers can't afford it or don't see it........(whatever) it's sad to see some angels taken advantage of, but that's another story.

Personally, I love the trail magic that you are not expecting.........the cooler in the middle of the woods, the offer of a ride when you never even had to ask, the random "magic" that happens and suprises you and makes your day when you are feeling down.

One time in Gaitlinburg, a few of us went out to eat and unbeknownst to us, a former thru-hiker bought us a round of beers and left his business card after he had gone.....You remember these times later and want to "pay it forward" because you've been there and know how nice of a surprise it can be!

Big and small, it's all a part of the trail experience, never to be expected, but always to be greatly appreciated!

OH...I almost forgot.

A thru hiker was a "trail angel" to me a couple years ago.
I had injured my knee on Webster Cliff Trail and he carried my pack about 1mile back up to Mizpah as the sun was setting.

Thanks again "Chestnut"!
You are the best. :) You certainly were my "hero" and that day.

While I think there is probably a great spirit of camaraderie and fun in these endeavors, I find the glorification a little over-the-top. Thru-hikers are on a voluntary hiking vacation. Sure, it may be challenging and uncomfortable, but no one has to do it. It's awesome that some folks want to help thru-hikers achieve their personal goals, but to associate that with ideas like "heroes" or "sacrifice" just rings false to me.

I don't recall more than a couple of "uncomfortable" days on my thruhike and very few that were "challenging" other than one fight with dehydration and a handful of cold days that were mentally tough; it's a long time to be out there. But, physically, it's just miles after the first month. It's easier at that point most days. I would have had far more challenging and uncomfortable days in a 6-month period of "normal life."

It IS TOTALLY a voluntary hiking vacation. I agree. No doubt that I would have turned around and hiked back north if I had the means. It beats the hell out of working for a living.

I agree "heroes" may be strong for most trail angels, but I think they "sacrifice" plenty. From my experience, they were kind and generous individuals who lived "pay it forward" and "do unto others."

One relatively well-known AT couple took us into their home for the night on a cold stretch in late fall when my partner and I were considering dropping off. It was one of 3 times I considered quitting. Their kindness may have made the difference at the right time for us. Rereading my journal, it was 11/18 in Va and we woke to frozen water bottles, frozen soap, and a lot of discouragement because we still had 2 months to go. We hoped to finish in January but it ended up being February. Cold can change a positive attitude fast sometimes. This couple gave us the floor of their living room which was warm, fed us breakfast, and we hit the trail renewed. The timing was perfect, their gift so valuable to us.

As Michelle mentioned, that's the best kind of trail magic. Unexpected but so appreciated.

Last edited: