?? Trail conditions, JBL, Southside ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedan

Reaction score
Just wondering if trail is bare all the way to JBL from the Garden. Also, anyone been down Southside trail in recent days. How high is John's Brook running, is it crossable to access Southside Trail or necessary to go all the way to suspension bridge near ranger cabin at Johns Brook. Headed for Bennies Slide on Lower Wolfjaw and would like to bushwack up Bennies Brook from Southside trail. Any info or recent conditions observations appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7961

Looks like crampons from the Garden were used on Tuesday... I can't see the trail from the garden to JBL ever being unclear except right after a snowfall which I don't believe has happened recently or since tuesday anyway, it's a fairly busy trail.

I believe the bridge to the SouthSide trail is fixed, at least there wasn't a sign at the junction to the SS trail when I went by there in middle february...

Jay

Thanks for the link and the info. I know the new bridge near the Ranger Station is open for business. I was also wondering if crossing Johns Brook on the Southside Trail near the Garden is possible or if the water is running too high (unless there is a new bridge there too?)? I know there won't be ice across the brook - or is it just easier to go to the suspension bridge and backtrack down Southside anyways?

Thanks again

As far as I know there is not a bridge at the beginning of the Southside Trail, just the suspension one that's been mentioned. That crossing can be pretty sketchy, but it's not too far of a backtrack to at least check it out.
A few January's ago in a low snow year I crossed it on my way in without much of a problem and it then rained all weekend. I spent a good hour looking for a crossing and then making a makeshift bridge to get across the now raging Johns Brook. So close to the Garden, yet so far!

I went today from the Garden to the Slide Brook crossing. I didn't go over there, but doubt that you could cross JB above the Garden and walk up the Southside trail. Lower Johns Brook is mostly open. The bridge, of course, is OK.

The trail to JB-IO is about half ice/half snow/half mud. It gets better the farther up you go. Slide Brook crossing is solid, but most streams are running freely.

Microspikes worked well in the changing conditions.