Trail Information

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMM

Reaction score
Would anyone know if there is an unofficial trail along the west side of Lower Ausable Lake? I am planning a hike starting at Ausable road near St. Huberts, making my way up to Gothics, over to Saddleback, Basin, and returning down to Upper Ausable Lake. I would prefer not to have to have to climb back up to either Mt. Colvin or to Sawteeth to return to Ausable road. Thanks for the info.

EMM
Ottawa, Canada

I don't have a map in front of me, but when I've been in that area, I remember that signs for each trail headed down to Upper Ausable Lake (the Carry) indicated that there is no low-elevation return to St. Huberts.

AMR is private property and only "official" trails as noted in the ADK and McMartin guides are available to the public.

You may consider starting at The Garden in Keene Valley and returning via the Johns Brook Valley.

-kalless

There is no trail along the *entire* western side. There is a trail that goes up towards Sawteeth. You could do a trip up Sawteeth Saddleback and Gothics. Note that the summit is on the other side of the saddle. You could probably Saddleback->LWJ in one day from the Garden if you got an early start.

-percious

Let me re-emphasize what Alpine said. The trails there are NOT open tothe public, there are people around, and you probably would get caught. If you are, you will be charged. That part is bad for you.

Now the part bad for us... It gives them more reason for closing existing trails through this private property.

OH yeah... swimming the lakes is not allowed either.

I've deleted my original post because I realized I'm opening up the AMR debate. Personally, it's best if I keep my AMR opinions (both positive and negative) to myself on someone else's thread.

Last edited:
Now I'm not so sure I can even breathe "their" air.
Sure it's annoying, but the Club has been good hikers. Afterall, they still allow hikers on their property after having breathed "my air" after a long day or two of hiking in the middle of summer :eek: When I win the lottery, the first thing I'm doing is joining that club... I'll give you a swimming pass.

mike1889 said:
Actually the AMR has to legally allow the public to use the trails. Here is a link to the legal stuff:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/regs/190c.htm

scroll down to 190.28
Be aware that "the legal stuff" includes the easement terms. If I understand the situation correctly, the easement precludes public use of certain trails on the AMR property. As Alpine Summit correctly advises, this is not something to push the envelope on. Easements to cross private property are important to hikers, and any abuse of the privileges granted by them is likely to make obtaining future easements on the property -- or any other property -- more difficult. Put yourself in the landowner's position on this one to understand the ramifications.

G.

Legal in winter

The only legal trail along the west side of the lake is when the lake is frozen and you can walk on the surface. Yet another advantage of winter hiking!

Many thanks for the information. I was not aware of the legal aspects regarding AMR. This is very helpful.

EMM