"Trailless" Peak dayhike May 1st?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
My 15 year old hiking machine of a son and I are hankering to do something this weekend. We did Santanoni on the 24th of April and still have ants in our pants. Any recommendations for a trailless summit dayhike? No job too big or small. I know its not the best time of year but hey! we'll walk through the mud, nor around.

No job too big, you say?
Try West Peak of Scar Ridge off the Kancamaugus Highway east of Loon Mountain.
That should cure those ants real quick.
Have fun!

Where's that at? We'll be leaving Montreal at 4:30am (precisely), ants and all.

Oh ya, sorry.
New Hampshire.
Rte 112 from Lincoln.
Just a bit south of Franconia Notch State Park.
But, I gotta warn you, there are very limited views from this bushwack, and you'll work your butt off.
I'm sure better suggestions will follow.
Whatever you do, have fun.

Neil, it would be easier to give suggestions if you'd tell us what state you're planning your climbs on this trip. Also, be prepared to posthole off trail (especially) at this time of year... if you don't carry snowshoes for these spring hikes. Mud? Not likely once you leave any well used trail.
As for the Scar Ridge that Jim suggested, click-on: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat...s=50&size=l&symshow=n&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25 . The Kancamagus Hwy is just north of this range (scan around using green arrows). Lincoln, NH is west of here.

Oh yeah.
The Adirondacks.

I'm with Mike, if you don't really need to be out there, why? It's a complete slop/mess. In 2-4 weeks conditions will be 100% better. This is peak mud season, I've been doing mostly waterfalls and other low-land hikes. After toying with the idea of hiking the santanoni range last weekend, I realized my folly when I read a trail report for that weekend... that area of teh adks is usually real wet to begin with! lol

But I'm sure you had a blast climbing santanoni otherwise you wouldn't be looking for more :rolleyes:.

Bring dry socks no matter where you decide to go!

I figure that the trail on a trailess peak with 3 feet of snow on it will be hard to muck up. :) We probably will head to the Seward Range. From the various posts I've read it sounds like the approach trail is under water all the time anyhow. And yeah we had a blast on Sant last w/end.

Last edited:
Well, we've decided on Porter and/or Big Slide/Yard after calculating a total 16 mile approach and exit slog for the Sewards on what will only be a day hike.
I appreciate all the feedback, advice and warnings.