Training for Pikes Peak Half Marathon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Live2run

Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping to hike at least 15 miles or run the Mt Washington road to the summit for training this Saturday. Any takers??? Should be fun.

Hi,

I was hoping to hike at least 15 miles or run the Mt Washington road to the summit for training this Saturday. Any takers??? Should be fun.
Are you allowed to run the road when it is open to traffic? Either way, it sounds a little dangerous.

I'm running the Pikes Peak Ascent too! Running the auto road is a great way to get ready for Pikes Peak. One thing you won't be able to prepare for is the altitude, especially above 12,000 ft. You will feel like you are on another planet! Just get a lot of long runs in and some good vertical and that should help. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the race or course. Good luck!

Tom,

The auto road is open to hikers/runners, but they just ask that you stay close to the edge, be mindful of traffic, and to not hitchhike.

If I run the road up Washington the plan is to be there before 9 am so I can be done early.
Tom, since you have experience running Pikes I would like to hear your thoughts on the trail. Is it wide, is it rocky like the whites? Should I use a hydration pack? Should I bring extra clothes in case of changes in weather? Too many questions I know.

Last edited:
Pikes Peak half marathon

My brother is out in Colorado training for the half marathon. It has been interesting...mud slides, snow....Say hi to him for me when you get out there. Good luck!!! (His name is Roger Austin)