Trap Dike First Week of June

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonycc

Reaction score
Quick question...

It looks like I'll be able to sneak in a quick hike this weekend (June 4-5). I've been drooling over the trap dike to Mount Colden for a couple of years, and I am considering it this weekend. Is there snow/ice still in play this early in the season? If so, I'll probably switch plans to bag Colden from Colden Lake.

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited:
It's been a rainy Spring. Although I haven't seen the Dike this year, I am assuming it is still wet. You ascend, up through, near the waterfall. So It's recommended, to climb, the Dike, more so, during a dry spell.

I did it when it was wet. Really wet. You end up climbing in the waterfall. Clinging to the wet rock can be a bit unnerving to say the least. The worst part for me was being out on the slide, which was also wet. The chances of slipping off and dying are very remote, but you feel the exposure the entire time. If you go, be sure to post a trip report. I'd like to climb it again this season.

And make sure you do not exit the dike too early.And don't exit too late and have to wriggle through cripple bush. The dike is awesome.

hillman1 said:
I did it when it was wet. Really wet. You end up climbing in the waterfall. Clinging to the wet rock can be a bit unnerving to say the least. The worst part for me was being out on the slide, which was also wet. The chances of slipping off and dying are very remote, but you feel the exposure the entire time. If you go, be sure to post a trip report. I'd like to climb it again this season.
We checked it out from the trail on the other side of Avalanche lake. It looks really awesome, the pictures I have seen do not do it justice.

However, the water was flowing quite heavily and roaring quite loudly. Looked like you could stay mostly out of the water, but there appear to be a few constrictions where you would be right in it. It also looked like there might be a few scattered pieces of ice left, but no real obstacles. We discussed whether to go for it, since none of us had a reference point for what was too much water. Also, none of us had been on Colden before.

I was leading a few teenagers, thus leaning towards the cautious side. I was a bit hesitant, but only asked the question and left it up to the boys to make the decision. One of the boys said it would be there later, and that convinced the rest to skip it for the day. It was kind of a proud moment for me. I have always stressed that the goal is the parking lot, and it was nice seeing them thinking this way.

Instead we went up Colden from Colden Lake. That trail is brutal, especially on a hot day. It was impossible to carry enough water. Once at the top we could see that the slide was completely dry.

I talked to a ranger in the parking lot, he said someone had done the trap dike a week earlier and told him it was "wet, but manageable". Given this info, and seeing the dry slide, I'm sure it would have been a good climb. The thought of climbing in a cool waterfall instead of dripping sweat crossed my mind more than once. However, I think we made the right choice.

We have now scouted it out from both top and bottom, have some more knowledge of what to expect, so when we do go for it I'll feel more comfortable and expect it to be a safer climb. The only problem is I've gone from just drooling to full mind and body lusting. ;)

Tony

Last edited:
Tony,

I think you definitely made a good call, especially leading kids. All it takes is some rain to crank the water level right back up in the Dike, so even though someone did it the week before, if it rained last night it can be much wetter in there! If you hear the water roaring loudly when you look from the Hitch-Up Matilda, you're going to be in for a wet climb. The hardest points on the Dike are only third class rock, but that can be quite tricky if it's wet, and while being splashed with water.

The slides dry extremely fast, so even if it rained last night, a good sunny day will make the slides OK. You can also always stay in the Dike, if you look up at the slides and they're all wet.

It's worth taking a half length rope if you are bringing non-rock climbers up the Dike. Even though it's easy, it really does feel more like climbing than hiking, and non-climbers have been known to "freeze" at the second waterfall.

I can give you detail on the "exits," also, if you want.

Are you serious?

tonycc said:
I was leading a few teenagers, thus leaning towards the cautious side. I was a bit hesitant, but only asked the question and left it up to the boys to make the decision. One of the boys said it would be there later, and that convinced the rest to skip it for the day. It was kind of a proud moment for me. I have always stressed that the goal is the parking lot, and it was nice seeing them thinking this way.
Tony
:confused: Am I missing something? Why would you leave the decision up to teenagers? :confused: Sounds like they were leading you! Good thing they made the right choice! Maybe you should climb it before you "lead" anyone there. :eek:

Very serious. These are 18 and 19 year olds that I have personally led on both summer and winter expeditions from New Hampshire to Alaska over the past six years. They are experienced sailers, canoers, backpackers, hikers, rock and ice climbers. I trust these guys with my life everytime they belay (and cook ;) ) for me.

They are all leaving for college within the next year, and will be doing these activities on their own. My goal for this trip, and for future trips until they do leave, is to polish up their decision making and leadership skills. The greatest accomplishment I can think of as a developer of young people is to have the student surpass the teacher. At this point, my biggest worries are the decisions they make when I am not around. That was the reason for stating it was a proud moment for me.

Hopefully, that explains it better, I realize my semantics were sloppy. There are numerous definitions of leadership, giving orders is just one phase of a long term relationship. Coaching and supporting are other phases of leadership.

As far as climbing it before leading anyone there, that was my plan. However, when they found out I was going solo they insisted they come along. :)

Tony

I climbed it without too much info on what to expect. I wanted it to be a sort of mini-adventure. Even with the water, there was only one really scary spot. It was due to the rock being so wet, and the feeling of exposure if I fell.