Trap Dike Solo?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugach001

Reaction score
I want to go up Trap Dike and tried last summer but it was VERY wet and I lost my nerve about 1/2 up the waterfall. Was that about the crux - or where is the crux?

I'm thinking of going back with a rope and a handful of stoppers and giving myself a belay when needed. I get the sense that once through the steeper waterfall area, it's pretty low grade from there?

Any beta would be much appreciated.

I have soloed the TD many times in winter, but never in summer. The waterfall is the steepest section at about 20 feet. After that, it is relatively low angle to the entrance to the slab, which should be a breeze with grippy soles in dry conditions. (The slab is often the winter crux with powder snow over bare rock.)

It has been real dry up there for awhile. To the point where people are posting about how dry it is. I think you'll be fine with just climbing (no gear) but do what makes you feel comfortable.

Anything with the word "trap" in it sounds dangerous to me.

Yep.. easy scrambling passed that section. I'd save weight and go without a rope during dry conditions.

Don't listen to ferris.. I hear he's a wimp.