Trap Dike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you may well be right

TonyL,

You may well be right. My idea is to ski a whole bunch of blacks this weekend in the AT setup(rather than resort skis) and see my comfort level. Still, Colden may be beyond me this year.

But one can always yearn and lust and wait...:). Mountains going nowhere..

Don't Take it the wrong way

I think the Dike trip is great trip and it is on my list and I'd love to join you if you decide to go and you need someone to go with. It is still an option this year especially with current conditions the way they are.

I just have Gothics dialed in and would be willing to do this trip again this year. It is great fun!

See the pictures on www.neice.com

Pictures of me on Gothics are posted in the Adirondacks section by rumdoodle. There is also another great shot of a climber at the very base of the climb posted by Adam D.

I'm probably going to climb ice this Saturday. Sunday, I'm at Gore helping with the patrol candidates test.

The weekend of 3/26 - 27 I'm shooting for Colden whichever day the weatherman indicates.

I agree with Tony. If you are not comfortable on single black trails, Colden might be a little tough. Lift served ski areas are the best place to practice!

Gothics

TonyL,

No, not taking it the wrong way. On the contrary, better to wait until one is more comfortable.

I'd love to do Gothics April 2/3 if you are willing to show the way...AdamD's pic looks nice. That must be you at the changeover from ice gear to skis at the top..?

TCD, will be practicing at the resort this Saturday, and am praying for the ice to survive at the narrows (in PA) this Sunday...have fun on the ice!

Lord, please let it remain cold...
Rahul

The Trip

Yes that's me at the change over.

Let's plan for a trip on Apr. 2/3.

Did you want to camp on the night of Apr. 2 after Gothics?

If not you can ski out after our climb. I'll be spending the night and skiing Big Slide on Sunday like I had said.

The trip

Sounds good to me. Camping will depend on when we climb, 2nd or 3rd..if its the latter I may have to start the drive home to Philly. Otherwise, there are many opportunities for adventure in this area, so even if I am not upto sking Big Slide (a friend has borrowed my adirondacks guidebook so I cant say) I might camp and do something or the other..I'm quite flexible..

Big Slide

Big Slide is pretty straight foward for what I understand. It is rated moderate and you don't summit. You hike up the trail from JBL and drop in the glades whenever you want. you get to see the glades as you hike up the trail.

My suggestion is that we do Gothics on Sat. since it is a long day.

If we are going to spend the night out we will not have to start as early because it will cut two hours off of the trip out.

We can get up early and ski and then head out. I'm projecting that we'd be back at the Garden by 2PM.

I have a five hour drive back to NJ myself.

Its a plan

I got my mellor guidebook back, so I now see with my map how things hook in together.

Camping in the vicinity of the JBL should cut down on all sorts of time. I'm thinking of maybe even getting there friday evening and setting up camp.

Camping

We can stay right in one of the lean-tos at the JBL area.

If you PM me with your address I'll send you more detailed maps of the area and the routes we are planning to do.

Lean-tos

Even better! No tenting...

I've pm'ed you the contact info.

My buddy and I did the Colden trip Saturday (see report in trail conditions). Great climbing, poor skiing. (And he was out of shape and sick as a dog, so it took about 4 hours longer than it should have - oh well.)

It's very hard to predict what's going to happen to the climbing with this week's weather.

Have fun on Gothics! My wife and I are looking at going there on Saturday too, depending on conditions. If it's raining, we will probably skip it.

Her preference is to snowshoe, so we'll probably park at the garden, snowshoe in, carry the snowshoes up and come out on the trail. With different logistics and different travel speeds, we probably won't run into you guys, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Sunday, if the weather and ice holds, we'll be climbing on the N side of the second brother.