Trip Reports - Santanonis 12/27/03 + Carson Pass 4/11/04

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nazdarovye

Reaction score
Avatar: Castle Peak, CA; Home: Bay Area, Californi
Well, I finally got around to putting up pictures of the ADK three-chapter Santanoni bushwhack that took place back in December - you can view them at:

Pictures of Santanoni-Panther-Couch Trek

There's a brief trip report on the Glens Falls chapter site, so I won't repeat that here, except to say that we had a great day for this. (And, at 18 or so miles and 13+ hours, we needed it!)

For contrast, here's a day snowshoe mountain climb we just did this past weekend from Carson Pass in the Sierra Nevada up to Little Round Top (9560'):

Pictures of Little Round Top Ascent

Lots of wildlife including hares in winter coats, plus bear tracks...also a fun glissade down a shoulder of Little Round Top to the upper valley.

I live in California now, so most of my hiking is in the Sierra Nevada, but I sure miss the Adirondacks and it was great to join the ADK group on my trip home for the holidays. Hopefully I can join you all on more this coming winter.

- Steve

Nazdarovye, thanks for the pictures of two wonderful places. I was lucky enough to do some backcountry ski-touring on both sides of Carson Pass a few years ago while spending a week at Kirkwood. I vowed to return sometime in the summer to enjoy those gorgeous trees and vistas again.

Hi Audrey -

How great that you've been there! That certainly is a beautiful area (not that California is lacking in those).

I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail from Ebbetts Pass to Echo Summit last fall as well, so I walked right through the same area you skied - Forestdale Divide past the "Elephant's Back", over the pass and into the Truckee River headwaters area and Meiss Lake. Gorgeous....