Triple ByPASS - 8/20/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Short version: I've always wanted to go thru Cold Brook Pass. So we started up thru Avalanche Pass, went thru Cold Brook Pass, and returned via Indian Pass. About 2000' of elevation gain, over 14 or so miles.

Long version: I was wondering what to call this TR. Circumnavigation of the MacIntyres? No peaks but lots of peeks? But when I heard Triple bypass, I knew that was the winner! Thanks to HayDK for the great suggestion! :D

The cast was Laurie, Snickers, Bush Whacker and me. We could see the Macs as we drove in to the Loj and it was a nice clear day, still a little bit cool. We got almost the last parking spot at the Loj, and started the hike around 9:00 AM. The day turned out to be a little warmer than I would have liked, but the rain held off and we had plenty of places to stop for water. We also did not set a fast pace. We knew we would have plenty of time to do the hike.

The first few miles were very familiar. We passed Marcy Dam and the awesome views of Colden and Whale's Tale. Then we walked up towards Avalanche Pass and took the 'Misery Mile'. IMHO, there are many worse miles in the ADKs! :confused: After that, we crossed thru Avalanche Pass. The debris pile is still huge, but I think it gets a little smaller each time I see it. After this a short walk leads to Avalanche Lake. It is always a spectacular sight, with the shear walls of rock rising up on both sides. We had a short break here and then began the walk around the lake, on the Hitch Ups. We passed the far end and then soon passed by Lake Colden. It looks pretty low. After this, we passed by the trail that leads up to Iroquois/Algonquin. Soon we came to the turn to Cold Brook Pass.

Now I was in new territory. The trail gets little use, and even less maintenance! There are a LOT of blowdowns and the trees are very close on each side of the trail. But it is impossible to lose your way, as it is still well marked. The trail follows a brook up to the pass, and another one down the other side. The water was flowing in both, and it was nice and cool. We crossed both streams several times, which was fine, as the water levels were pretty low. Just a few rock hops each time. There are a few small water falls and pools out here as well. But what struck me the most is the sense of remoteness and wildness out here. This is in my opinion, the 'real' Adirondacks. I also loved the views of the back side of Iroquois. Even at the top of the pass at 3800', it is still am imposing mountain. We did note 1 faint herd path heading North, one faint one heading South, and 1 obvious path heading South to Marshall.

Eventually, we came down to Indian Pass, and I was back in familiar territory. From the junction, it is a more or less level walk of almost 5 miles. This got a little boring at times, but there still are a few interesting sights along the way, such as the geo-marker right in the trail near Rocky Falls. Eventually we could see the lake and hear people on Mt. Jo and in the water. We noted that there are lot of new looking signs on the ADK property, but they all lack mileage. :confused: We made it back around 5:30, had some liquid refreshments and were off to the BBQ.

Speaking of the BBQ, it was a little light this year, but we had a nice, mellow time hanging out with friends. :)

Pics:

View of the cliffs above Avalanche Lake

tp1.jpg

View from the North end of Avalanche Lake looking South

tp2.jpg

Hitch Ups

tp3.jpg

Trap Dike

tp4.jpg

View of the South end of Avalanche Lake, looking North

tp5.jpg

Mount Colden

tp6.jpg

Iroquois viewed from Cold Brook Pass.

tp7.jpg

Bottle Gentian near the top of Cold Brook Pass

tp8.jpg

My brother and I did the same route except in reverse in April 2003 to bag Marshall via the herd path from Cold Brook Pass. Lousy weather made us abort the summit attempt. Rotten snow and high water made the trek even more difficult and we felt like we needed triple bypasses after that one. :D And as usual, for any trip I've taken to Marshall, clouds and drizzle at the top but always sun by time I get back to the trailhead.

I still want to try the climb to Shephard's Tooth via CB Pass - someday.

I almost forgot, the blueberries were abundant, and delicious! They got better the higher we went. A few raspberries were consumed at lower elevations as well.