Tripyramids and Sleepers: June 12th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing the Tripyramids and Sleepers from The Kank. I have not done these before but looking at the map it would seem the best route would be in via the Pine Brook Trail, across the ridge via the Kate Sleeper Trail and then out via the Downes Brook Trail.

This looks like 12.2 miles with 3250' of gain, which sounds like a good long day's hike.

1) Is there anything unusual that would make this more difficult than the numbers would indicate?
2) Would the Sabbaday Brook Trail with an over and back to North Tri have any advantages?
3) Would throwing in an over and back to Whiteface be doable If I had some energy left (luckily the Dawnes Brook is all down hill)? The contours up to Whiteface from the col look easy on the map (500' of gain).
4) Any other conmments, suggestions?

Anyone want to join me? A car spot beats the hell out of a hitch late in the day on the Kank.

Thanks

If you could move it to the 11th, I'd be interested (I'm co-leading a trip up Carr Mtn on 6/12). I need to get the Sleepers. Sabbaday would add mileage and condense some of the climb into a steep pitch before gaining the ridge. I think Pine Bend is the better route. Visiting Whiteface would not be that much of an extra effort. You might as well go for it though, it is hard to tell when you're there. Just don't go crazy and think of adding Passaconaway while you're at it! You'll never get home!!

Double Bow said:
If you could move it to the 11th, I'd be interested (I'm co-leading a trip up Carr Mtn on 6/12). I need to get the Sleepers.
Sorry. My granddaughter's first birthday party is Saturday. More important than peakbagging.

Double Bow said:
Just don't go crazy and think of adding Passaconaway while you're at it! You'll never get home!!
Thanks. I looked at that but decided not to even ask.

argman said:
put me down as possible -- I am definitely interested, but my ankle's been bothering me these last few days. (I hope it gets better by then)
Hope you can make it. We can touch base near the end of next week.

Hmmm, my "Map Adventures" map of the Whites shows Pine Brook -> Tripyramid Tr -> Kate Sleeper -> Downes Brook as being 13.1 mi; taking Sabbaday Brook Tr instead looks like 14.2 (13.2 if you skip N Tripyramid). Another 1.8 mi or so to include the spur to Whiteface (0.9 there and back).

AMC WM Guide warns the Downes Brook trail has 10 crossings of Downes Brook, some of which may be "difficult or impassable in high water".

arghman said:
Hmmm, my "Map Adventures" map of the Whites shows Pine Brook -> Tripyramid Tr -> Kate Sleeper -> Downes Brook as being 13.1 mi; taking Sabbaday Brook Tr instead looks like 14.2 (13.2 if you skip N Tripyramid). Another 1.8 mi or so to include the spur to Whiteface (0.9 there and back).

AMC WM Guide warns the Downes Brook trail has 10 crossings of Downes Brook, some of which may be "difficult or impassable in high water".
Thanks for checking the numbers. I had forgotten the Mount Tripyramid Trail over the ridge to Kate Sleeper which brings it up to 13.1 miles.

I'm not overly concerned about the numbers (and I can always forget about Whiteface) but the brook crossings sound "interesting"!

I'll keep touch with the weather and water levels over the next week and also look into the route from the south (up the north slide, down the south slide) with a possible over-and-back to East Sleeper.

Stay tuned ...

I'm still thinking of the Tripyramids for June 12th, but probably the traditional slide loop from the Waterville Valley rather than from the Kank. 10 crossings of Downes Brook in June (as pointed out by arghman) may not be too smart, hence the approach from the south. It is 11 miles total and I like the ideas of the slides. The north is supposed to be good for going up and the south down. Obviously, that would be good for a non-rainy day.

I have a bunch of 4ks and HHs to do in the southern Whites. The "easy ones", so to peak. I can always stick the Sleepers onto a Whiteface / Passaconaway hike later.

So is anyone interested in joining me for that modified itinerary on Sunday the 12th? I'll be coming up from Natick (2 to 2 1/2 hours - with luck - on an early Sunday morning). I'd love company.

How will you be driving up to the Valley? I'll be coming over from Portsmouth and can meet you and anyone else part way....lots of options on getting over to 93. I usually take 101 over because time wise it's just as fast as Rt. 4.

I'm staying away from Alton and Rt. 25...FYI...I think this is Bike Weekend which means it will be a little crazy. Even though the event is at the Weirs, all the hotels will be sold out from Tilton to Lincoln...including Waterville Valley.

So a very early start is probably for the best. :)

flyingfree said:
How will you be driving up to the Valley?
I'll be going straight up I-93 from the Boston area and then I'll Take 49 up to the Valley and the Livermore Trailhead.

I suggest we meet at the parking lot at 8:00 AM, rather than trying to meet on the way. I'm assuming the bikers will be sleeping well past that hour. I'll email flyingfree and anyone else interested to coordinate things later in the week.

Question:
does parking in the Livermore/Greeley Pond Trail lot require a parking sticker?

Hope for good weather. See you Sunday.

Sounds good....see you there at 8:00am weather permitting. Need a parking pass, there is a "tube" at the parking lot for day passes. $3.00.

WMNF parking fees

flyingfree said:
Need a parking pass, there is a "tube" at the parking lot for day passes. $3.00.
arm said:
you can get a WMNF parking pass at the little office right off the exit for route 49, on the right as you pull off route 93 (they're still one for $20, or two for $25)
These responses confused me. Is the $3 a day rate and the $20 a season rate? Can someone explain the pricing structure or point me to the information.

Thanks

Correct, $3.00 for the day rate and $20.00 for the season and $25.00 for two passes. I usally get the two passes for $25.00 since I have two cars. If you plan on hiking more than 7 times per year, go with the season pass.

The parking stickers are:

$3.00 day
$20.00 1 vehicle season
$25.00 2 vehicles at same address/season

Need to purchase stickers in person, or use cc and have them mail it to you.

Campton Chamber of Commerce (one closest to WV) is open 9-5 Sundays. So you can't get the parking pass there and get to Depot Camp Parking in WV lot by 8:00am.

There are "tubes" at the parking lot for day passes $3.00.

:)

I want to pipe in with this variation to the first 2.3 miles and using this alternate route (same distance) there are no unbridged stream crossings and with water levels high the first miles is quite rewarding along the Cascade Path rather than the boring Livermore Trail (dirt road). My group was thrilled with this white water beginning, but no stream crossings. See P. 305 of White Mountain Guide - 27th edition & my photos here (especially the first 10) . All the "F" photos are of my Tripyramid venture. Periwinkle from this board was along on this hike and enjoyed my beginning variation. (No need for a White Mountain Parking Pass.) Park at the northern end of the Snow Mt. Ski area parking lot in Waterville Valley and go up parallel to the left of the development road and you will see the Waterville Valley Trail Assoc sign for Cascade Path to the right (photo F-02). Also, keep Cascade Brook always on your left. You cross the Cascade Brook over a pipe drainage at the top of the the Cascade Brook Trail climb and along a wood road to the left at the top of the falls and the end of the trail. From the top it is a ten minute walk to the Livermore Road Junction. We returned using Livermore Road to the Boulder Path and followed it back to the Snow Mt. Parking lot. (you then have to cross Avalanche Brook), but you can walk roads around from the Livermore Trailhead if you decide the river crossing is too dangerous. When we went the stream was shallow. (see photo F59)

Last edited:
That is a GREAT idea!! The cascade trail is fun and it's beautiful! I have been dreading Livermore Road...it is probably one of the most boring roads I've ever hiked. Well the Wilderness Trail is a close second. : )

PB, what do you think? I like the idea. In fact I would be relieved to bypass Livermore Road.

Is anyone else planning on going?

flyingfree said:
That is a GREAT idea!! The cascade trail is fun and it's beautiful! ... PB, what do you think? I like the idea.
Sounds good to me. So let's just change the meeting place to the Snows Mountain Ski area parking lot. 8:00 AM.

Well folks, It's been raining every night up there and it looks like it will rain again tomorrow (Saturday). It's probably true we could make it up and back before the afternoon T-storms come Sunday, but I'm inclined to put this off till things have a chance to dry out. I'd rather not climb the slide if its soaked.

I guess I'm saying, we won't die by waiting for a dry sunny day on the slide (to say nothing of good views).

What do others think?