Tubbs Pinnacle Snowshoes and Telemark boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadine

Reaction score
West Enfield, ME Avatar: Mt. Katahdin, Tablelan
I bought a pair of woman specific Tubbs Pinnacle snowshoes today at a 50% off sale. When I got them home I was disappointed to find that they were not compatible with Scarpa T1, T2, or T3 tele boots, or with Scarpa Laser AT boots. Seems as though the bottom buckle on the ski boots interferes with the binding housing buckle on the snowshoe. I've repostioned my ski boot as much as possible and still can't make it work. I might possibly get somewhere if I had a longer heel strap to work with, then I could position the boot far enough back so that the ski boot buckle would be out of the way. It looks and feels like my foot would not be in the proper position then.

I need another pair of double plastic boots like I need a hole in the head. But I'm thinking the only thing that's going to work in the plastic line, are boots with no buckles, like Koflachs.

Any ideas appreciated.

Nadine

nadine, you could swap the "bear hug" bindings for the td91 binding. call tubbs customer service and they will help you out. the bindings are easy to switch.

tubbs

i have those same snowshoes but i don't ski so i have never had to wear ski boots with snowshoes. i don't know what your intentions are but i wear a pair of insulated boots & have been out all winter with no problems. i have a pr of merrell winterras (really hard to find in womens) & a pr of vasqe artics i got off sierra trading post for like $30. if you just need a pr of insulated boots for the snowshoes, sierra did have some on sale: SALOMON SNOW TIME GORE-TEX® BOOTS for $60 but you can find others for sale this time of yr also. one site had the salomon sno-bow for around $39 awhile ago. but if you need ski boots that's a whole 'nother story & i have no input there. the bindings are a big part of those snowshoes tho and are so easy to use i'd hate to see you take them off. (i bought my tubbs altitudes last year for $48 on clearance -- they have the strap bindings but then you lose those awesome crampons!)

I'm looking to stick with plastic boots for winter hiking. I can't seem to find a picture of those td91 bindings though. Are they strap bindings? I have a pair of strap bindings on my old snowshoes, and they are a pain in the neck to put on in cold weather.

Nadine

stuck on plastic?

I know you like plastic & like I said I wasn't really sure of what your intended use was for the boots when you are out snowshoeing. But unless you need something to ski or ice climb in, trust me -- for warmth you do not need to spend the money on plastic boots! Why anyone would spend hundreds of dollars on snowshoe boots is beyond me. The Merrell Winterras I spoke of not only have a great vibram sole & gortex lining but are rated to -20. I've had them on in even colder weather & been warm. If warmth is your biggest concern I just hate seeing anyone paying more than necessary. Also Cabellas has some boots rated to -(-40). Just some input but again I don't really know what else you need the boots for once you are out there.

Yes, they are the strap type bindings. They are on the Tubbs Adventure model and last year they were on the Tubbs Altitude. The binding on the Tubbs Mountain shoe is another possibility. It might be pricey. I would recommend you call Tubbs and ask.