Tumble Down Mnt and Little Jackson

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowmo68

Reaction score
I am planning a hike to Little Jackson Mt and Tumbledown in Weld Me. I ran into a man on the summit of Puzzle Mt and he was telling me something about private land owners closing access to roads in and out of the Tumbledown area. Does any one else have any info on this?
Thanks

slowmo68 said:
I am planning a hike to Little Jackson Mt and Tumbledown in Weld Me. I ran into a man on the summit of Puzzle Mt and he was telling me something about private land owners closing access to roads in and out of the Tumbledown area. Does any one else have any info on this?
Thanks
Trails are open for Hiking. Camping in one area was curtailed. Do a search on this site for a long thread on the subject. We hiked there in July (with Audrey and Pat) and there is no problem. Descriptions of trail heads etc. in the MMG are accurate.

Tumble down and Jacksons

Thank you One Step. The guy I had talked to had told me that the private land owners had closed access due to people littering all over the general area of the trail heads. Maybe they reopened it. Sounded like he knew what he was talking about and he was from Wilton ME near the Weld area and Tumble down. What a shame that people have to trash up an area such as this.
Thanks again
Chris

slowmo68 said:
Thank you One Step. The guy I had talked to had told me that the private land owners had closed access due to people littering all over the general area of the trail heads. Maybe they reopened it. Sounded like he knew what he was talking about and he was from Wilton ME near the Weld area and Tumble down. What a shame that people have to trash up an area such as this.
Thanks again
Chris

Yeah, I heard that story too...about some out of state rich lady had purchased quite a bit of that area, not really sure how much. But I heard she got all uppitty about things and wanted to limit it's usage, but that's about all I heard. Not really sure how far it went. It's been a few years since I've been up there, but when my husband, daughter, son-in-law, and I went, it was near the beginning of summer and there was quite a few people there. I understand its used by the locals, kinda a party place, near the trail head, but I don't think they venture too far from there. Too much work for them after they've had a few I guess. That's where the trash comes from, it's not from the hikers, it's from the locals that go there to party, at the trail head that is. Other than that once you get at the top of the mountain it is absolutly gorgeous. We saw a couple moose up there when we did an overnighter. Enjoy!

Thanks Spencer, for the "real" report. I guess I can't blame her. I just hope the people that are doing the bitching about being gated aren't the ones trashing the place, that would just be wrong! :mad:

As far as blaming the ATV's well....what I've seen with them, they just seem to be....I don't want to call them rednecks, but there is some of that, as well as familys that are into the sport, but on the other hand the ATV's do more damage to trails then hikers do.