Turn around....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puck said:
Is it me or are we one pot of coffee short of an AA meeting?

Hi everyone. My name is Alpinista, and I'm a hike-aholic. I take one hike at a time. Thank God for this 12-step -- well, actually hundred-plus step -- program! ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

More seriously, I've been thinking about this post since it went up. In many ways, I do think I'm addicted to hiking. Do I hike every day? No. Do I hike to excess? No. But, especially in the summer, it's something I think about virtually 24/7 -- and I schedule virtually my entire life around hiking excursions.

I'm hooked! :D

I always wanted to lose some weight, but it was also so damn hard! I kept seeing pictures of people at the summit of mountains and always thought: "Wow, which I could do that". That was when I weight 300 lbs'ish. One day, got bored, went up Mt Royal in Montreal. Huffed and puffed, but I made it. Wasn't high enough though, no real view ;-)

I started getting more in shape by eating better and exercising a lot and going higher and higher. In the process, I lost 120# on the scale, although I probably lost a lot more fat than that since I gained some muscles as well.

I feel great. For once, my friends can't keep up with my pace and girls actually look at my butt now when I'm not looking ;-)

Fish

HikingFish and MtnMike - congrats to you both. MM - Having seen your avatar a few times I'd always guessed you were an athlete....you have a sort of rugby player build it looks like.

I started smoking cigarettes at 15 and quit at 29. I spent half my life anticipating that cool Carolina smoke after meals, movies, sex, while driving....and it's a damned hard thing to rewire yourself after that long, especially where an addiction is involved. Been two yrs. and while I occasionally catch myself thinking about 'em, I'll never smoke another in my life, ever. That's it. Quitting for me was waaaay too damned hard to even consider a relapse/repeat of that.

Right now there are 8 Hoegaardens, 13 Bass Ales, and 2 Long Trails in my fridge. I love beer, but will only have 2 or 3 at a time, maybe once a week, then I won't have one for 2 weeks....much like Pete Hickey's smoking from the sounds of it. As for any illicit substances, well....

"I used to smoke marijuana. But I'll tell you something: I would only smoke it in the late evening. Oh, occasionally the early evening, but usually the late evening - or the mid-evening. Just the early evening, midevening and late evening. Occasionally, early afternoon, early midafternoon, or perhaps the late-midafternoon. Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early morning. . . But never at dusk." - Steve Martin

The Four B's

Ah yes...the eternal question..do I or donot I...Butts,Booze,Bongs and Beef?
I guess if I hadnot starting doing any of these in the first place it would have never been an issue to begin with.A major tribute to all of you that have weighed in on this one.Somehow all of my outdoor experiences were somehow linked to one of the four originally...Then I realized that if I were going to continue to hike I would need to make a change. Not to sound like the High an Almighty but I have long since given up the first Three...but a good "BURG" will always get me!
I have fond memories of all of the four "B"S" that will never be taken away from me...but I have to hike...so the fourth "B" works the Best!

Quit smoking 17 years ago. Drink like a fish, love beer - currently sporting a nice round beer belly to prove it! :eek:
Normally hiking, biking, etc takes care of that, but this year I've had other priorities, so I've put on some weight.
I never thought about it, but one day it occured to me that I hadn't eaten red meat in years. I like all meat rare (even pork) so I guess I just started staying away from it. I love fish, chicken and turkey. My "bad" food weaknesses are cheese, butter, bacon, organ meats...
I need to get back to following Dr Weil's healthy eating program.

Interesting thread. I was a casual smoker (bars with friends who smoked, more so during college) from 6th grade until a few years ago. I feel lucky because I never became addicted--somehow I never got to the point where I craved it.

Did the pot smoking thing very briefly in high school one summer. Really hated the way it made me feel, although I loved the smell.

Ahh, booze. Love beer and red wine and the occassional dirty martini. Drink moderately, sometimes more (especially when some FOOL pulls the Good Dr. out of the freezer!)

As I get older it's made me fat, so I've been cutting back and eating better. Being fat makes it harder to hike and earn my turns--not good. Because hiking and skiing are the most important things in my life, frankly. I've lost a fair amount this year and I can sure tell the difference!

Oh yeah, meat? I don't consider it a vice. I personally couldn't imagine being a veggie.

Seeker said:
...(especially when some FOOL pulls the Good Dr. out of the freezer!)
Ahhh, one of life's little pleasures. :p The colder the Dr. gets, the better it tastes. Seems to get smoother too. Of course, dropping a shot or two of the Mentholmint into some hot chocolate is always good after spending the morning fighting the snowblower.

My only vice is food, especially the ones that are bad for you. Go figure. Despite the alcohol reference above, I'm lucky if I have a drink once every couple of months. Cheers!

All the things that prevented me from getting where I wanted to be are all the things that prodded me into action to get me where I am. There was too much of this and not enough of that. You just gotta figure out which is which. Life is all about finding your balance and staying on the Wheel.

The wheel is turning
and you can't slow down
You can't let go
and you can't hold on
You can't go back
and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you
then the lightning will.

JohnL

Just gotta add my $0.02...
I agree with JohnL, I am where I am because of where I was and I wouldn't have it any other way! I used to smoke heavy, drink even heavier, and do whatever I thought would work to fill this gaping sucking hole that I experienced internally. Slowly, with age (and maybe a little wisdom???) I made changes, I quit eating meat, then stopped the drinking and whatever, cig's were next and then what I found to be the biggest and hardest challenge...the weight. At 40 years of age I weigh less than half of what I used to and am in better shape than ever. And in learning to trust and be dependent on my body (which got me out in the woods and on top of many mountains), I found what all those other things couldn't get me to.....a sense of internal peace and serenity.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!