Twins to Bonds/Cabot/Unknown Pond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Well, this started out as a Twins to Bonds hike, then the weather wouldn't budge. It turned into a Cabot Hike, because there are no river crossings...
At least, thats what the BOOK says.
The Weather Goddess and I met up with LenDawg and Little Sister at 9am. in beautiful downtown Stark to hike up to Cabot. There was a georgeous drizzle in the air, and a beautiful bone chilling breeze. We quickly suited up and hit the trail before any one of us could suggest going out for a huge Sunday Brunch instead. After oh, 2 1/2 minutes on the trail we were all throughly soaked to the bone, but still having a good time. The trail gradually turned into a brook, then it began to have more river qualities. Onward we sloshed. At some point, we decided that the Unknown Pond was really our destination this day.
We made it to the pond, thought briefly about warming up in the tent that was pitched nearby, and enjoyed the views of the rain dropplets on the pond, and the fog and leaves.
LenDawg graciously produced a bottle of champagne to celebrate the occasion, thanks again. :eek: After deciding we should return for a winter camp/skating event, off down the trail we went.
The pace picked up as visions of nachos and buffalo chicken danced in our heads, and not as much care was taken with avoiding the futile attempt to keep our feet out of the water. The slog back to the cars was quick and slippery and wet.
Ended up having a great meal and beverages at a sports bar/pizza/Mexican/Biker palce in Lancaster. The food was great, but the company was better!
Thanks to Little Sister, LenDawg and the WG for joining me to 'go out and play' on a wet soggy cold day. ;)
The mountains are not going anywhere, and my motto has always been that the summit is optional, getting out safely is not.

Glad to read you guys all made a day of it after all,and got out OK. I hope I get a chance to hike with all of you soon.
I took a tiny 4 mile hike into my little town forest today and I was even cold and wet down here at 1000' !! I lost a couple of trees in my yard this afternoon from the winds too. Man what a weather week its been. I see that Washington got some snow today and recorded a wind gust up around 125mph.

slog on

you fools.i also was foolish.climbed 2833ft mt wilcox in my hometown of pittsfield,vt.nice 2mile walk on road to 1mile steep up atv trail to 1mile bushwack up steep summit.coming down the rain stopped and the yellows and oranges were stunning.# 170 on the vermont 500 highest list..haha ;) ;)

Chinooktrail, great job planning on this. Who knew the weather would have turned out the way it did... we'll just have to reschedule.

Nevermind Owl's Head or the Tripyramids... Unknown Pond Trail Slide is where it is at!!!

Yes, it was a great time and as Chinooktrail said, even better company. It was great meeting WG, and giving Little Sister the joy of laughing at me slide down the mountain :eek: .

And one last time, Happy Birthday, Chinooktrail! Next time, we will all sing!

We wondered about how things were going for you as we got soaked on Waumbek yesterday (TR coming hopefully soon) ... I'm glad you all made it up and back safely!

And darn it - there was not a single cloud in the sky when we left Mass. in the morning, and then pouring rain and wind in the Whites ... I should have known, I really should! :)

I wondered if you all would be bushwhacking yesterday.... I ended up doing Old Speck, and it was snowing as well as raining on top! Glad to hear you had fun despite the weather :)