Two Vermont 4K trips, and a Maine 4K Trip in the making

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvios lincoln

Reaction score
I am planning two trips to Vermont this summer and one to Baxter Park right after Labor Day. I am driving up from the central Massachusetts area. If anyone is interested please contact by message. All of this can be done with one car, so anyone joining me would only be expected to share the fuel costs for my Corolla, which are actually quite reasonable. The Killington hike will only require moderate efforts. The other two trips are expected to be harder, so you need to know your capabilities. I am not planning that any of these trips will involve large groups. I like to keep things simple. I plan to do these trips solo if I don't find anyone interested.

Trip 1. On July 4th weekend I am planning a one night backpacking trip to Mt Killington via the AT from Sherburne Pass (RT 4). I plan to pick up Pico Peak (hundred highest) on the ridge. The back pack in is about 6-7 miles I guess.
Cooper lodge below Killignton Peak is one option for the overnight, but I think I will actually wait until the activity dies off on the ski slopes and set up a tent somewhere near the top. I plan to retrace the AT on the way out, or possibly divert at Pico and hike out the Shreburne trail. I could be convinced to stop at the nearby Long Trail Ale Brewery on the way south. I am targeting this for Saturday-Sunday, of July 4th weekend but this window may slide depending on the weather forecasts.

Trip 2. Near the end of July, or beginning of August, I plan to hike both Camels Hump and Mansfield on a trip lasting approximately 3 nights. The first destination will be Camels Hump via the Bamforth Ridge trail, which is also the Long Trail. I intend to camp the first night at Bamforth Ridge Shelter, which is about 3 miles in from River Road. The next day I will continue south along the ridge to Camels Hump and hike down the east side to the caretaker cabin on Camel's Hump Road. I will use a mountain bike, stashed there, to ride back to the car on River Road. (Almost All Downhill). Anyone accompanying could wait here or also ride down on there own bike. Now I will drive to the Stowe area, to Smugglers Notch State Park. I plan to camp the night and day hike all of Mansfield Ridge the next day, via the Long Train and Haselton Trail. I want to go from the Adams Apple to the Forehead or visa-versa, so this may be up to a 10 mile day hike. Shorter options are available if anyone accompanying wishes to deviate. I would then plan to spend another night car camping in Smugglers notch before returning to Massachusetts. Perhaps dinner in Stowe would be in order on the last night.

Trip 3. Right after labor day, I want to drive up to Baxter State Park in Maine to hike all the four thousand footers, the Knife Edge, and a couple of Hundred Highest peaks that are in the way. I am not sure about getting reservations as it is too far to go to sit in the rain. I am hoping that after Labor day it won't be too hard to get non-weekend last minute reservations. Ideally I would spend a night at Chimney pond. Roaring Brook would be the back-up start for Hamlin, Baxter Pk and Pamola. North Brother would be done as long day hike after car camping, catching as many of the Hundred Highest peaks in the vicinity as time permits. This trip is likely to consume about 3 to 4 mid-week nights. The drive up is 6 hours from central MA, and I might not want to hike too far that day. Hiking into Chimney Pond would be worth the extra effort after the drive, if reservations can be secured. There will be a night of camping between Baxter ridge Hike and the North Brother day hike. There would likely be another night camping or at a low cost accomodation with showers after the North Brother Hike.

EL

elvios lincoln said:
Trip 1. On July 4th weekend I am planning a one night backpacking trip to Mt Killington via the AT from Sherburne Pass (RT 4). I plan to pick up Pico Peak (hundred highest) on the ridge. The back pack in is about 6-7 miles I guess.
Cooper lodge below Killignton Peak is one option for the overnight, but I think I will actually wait until the activity dies off on the ski slopes and set up a tent somewhere near the top. I plan to retrace the AT on the way out, or possibly divert at Pico and hike out the Shreburne trail. I could be convinced to stop at the nearby Long Trail Ale Brewery on the way south. I am targeting this for Saturday-Sunday, of July 4th weekend but this window may slide depending on the weather forecasts.
...EL
Suggest you seriously consider throwing Mendon into the pot. Meo and I did Mendon + Killington + Pico and back as a (long) day hike. (Report) Surely it would be easier as an overnight. Obviously, you leave the big pack back at Copper Lodge when you go down to Pico and back.

Correction - we skipped Killington since it was raining and we had done it, but that would only add 20 minutes to the trip up to K and and back to Cooper Lodge.

Leave no stragglers!

Last edited:
Mendon

Thanks for that input. I didn't even know it was in that area. I'll plan on it.
Funny story. I was reading your online report about Fort Mt while you were reading about my Vermont and Maine trips plans.

Update on Maine Trip

I decided to make reservations for Baxter. I made two sets, in successive weeks as a hedge on rain. All reservations are at 4 person walk-in lean-tos. I have paid for two people. As I understand, it I can expand the reservation to the 4 person capacity of the lean-tos.

My reservations are as follows:

#1. Chimney Pond 9/2, Roaring Brook 9/3, Katahdin Stream 9/4.
#2. Chimney Pond 9/9, Roaring Brook 9/10, Katahdin Stream 9/11.

If the week of 9/2 has good weather, then I'll go then. If its bad, then I will wait a week and take a chance on the second set.

My plan is to pack into Chimney Pond after driving up to Baxter from Central MA. After spending the night I will hike up to Mt Hamlin and then proceed across the ridge to Baxter Peak, the Knife Edge, and Pamola. I will hike down to Roaring Brook for the second night. The next morning I will hike the North Brother, possibly Fort, South Brother, and Mt Coe. Then I will drive to Katahdin Syream for the third night.

At this point I have space. Anyone with serious interest in this trip can contact me by private message.

TheseAny available spaces on these trips have been filled

Any available spaces on these trips have been filled, as of last week.

thanks for your interest,

el