Tyvek

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
Quick question. When using tyvek as a ground cloth, do you duck tape the pieces together or use some other method to attach them? My ground cloth needs to be 5x7 and the role is 3 feet wide.

They make a Tyvek seam tape (2") that is super thin and incredibly sticky, as well as durable. Since you only need 5', you may be able to go with two and overlap them (since you have such a large overlap). Might also be easier to pack two (or split them up) than one, and if you are solo, you can just bring one if that works for you. I taped together a large cloth, but have found using two separates has more flexibility and ease of use. It is nice to be in "tent-optional" season isn't it? No tent for me this weekend!

edit: they also make wider rolls, and you may be able to score a leftover piece from a construction site. That's where a real nice contractor gave me two pieces and the tape... he wasn't using the wide stuff. worth a try)

I used to frame houses and Tyvek is really cheap. Most contractors would have no problem giving away a little bit to a person asking nicely! I wonder if Tyvek would be good for a wind stopper in a Hennessy Hammock? Hmmmmm....

I got a few pieces from contractors when they were building in my old Massachusetts neighborhood. I use Duct tape to tape smaller bits together and it has held very well. I also put mine in the wasdhing machine for a few rounds, to soften it a up a bit before taping the sections together.

I had to replace some clapboards on my house so I bought a role. I will look for the tyvek tape next time I'm at home depot.

Please let us know how you like using Tyvek as a ground cloth. Since it allows water vapor to pass through, I thought that it would not make as good a ground cloth as regular plastic sheeting. I use a piece for a canopy over my tent since it will repel rain.

if you find yourself on a construction site bummin' around for scrap air barriers see if the contracotr will spring for it and give you the good stuff. Ask for some Carlisle 705...its an air/vapor barrier (stops wind and water in one sheet).

been using tyvek footprints with great results for a couple of years, no leakage or tears yet.
i got some large pieces working at museums where we use it to wrap fragile objects such as textiles.
i haven't had to join pieces but sewing then using seem tape, sealer or tent repair tape may be another option though I'm sure the tape method will work fine.
i found it easy to pound some grommets into the corners of the footprint to allow tent poles to be slid in so the footprint will stay put, then i trimmed the shape of the footprint a bit smaller than the shape of the tent to avoid water buildup underneath.
ultralight silicone impregnated tarp material may be another(more expensive option)
peace

Nadine, I like using Tyvek and haven;t had any problems with it tearing in the woods. In fact, I notice this problem on rocks and roots more with plastic sheeting than I do with Tyvek.
FWIW, Back in the 80's, when I was in pest control, I had a couple of pairs of tyvek coveralls that I would wear when going into crawlspaces, filthy basements, or to crawl across upstairs attice, those things were absolutely indestructable.

I've used Tyvek coveralls a few times and had a jacket made of it back in the 80's. The stuff does not breathe very well and is like a sauna. If you want an impermeable wind barrier to your skin it is effective. If you want to stay cool forget it.

A small piece of Tyvek also makes good protection inside a tent if you have a dog that likes to "nest" before it settles down for the night. Just make sure to wash it a couple of times beforehand to reduce the crinkle noise.