Ultra-light tarp tents.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougPaul said:
As for the tarp, consider what you will do if the weather is blowing snow.

Doug
That's easy, head for the nearest motel!

sans tarp or tent

This has been the 1st winter I'll be experimenting with doing some overnights without a tent or bivy bag.
I've ordered up a - 40 bag with a mostly waterproof breathable shell. (it weighs about 4lbs 10oz)
Last year on a few occasions I've hiked out late at night. This year when soloing I would just as soon curl up for a few hrs shut eye and finish hiking out in the morning. I think it would open up a few more extensive off trail travels without the worry of getting lost or overly exhausted.
I have used a bivy bag in the past and when it snowed I would crawl beneath any trees or underbrush that I could find, but that could still leave me wishing for a warmer bag. This year I'll get the warmer bag and leave the bivy.
I think someone mentioned the 'psychological barrier' of getting used to not being in an enclosed area and there is much truth to that, for me at least.
I am fortunate enough to be able to sleep outside year round about once a week. Usually I would put up a tent or bivy but these past few weeks I've just been going out with a pad and a bag, for conditioning, and that has been working out pretty well.
Still a couple of big considerations are not to loose things in snowy conditions,
...and of couse where can I keep my pillow and teddy bear ??

Bivy tarp is my year round preferred shelter though in winter "tarp" is frequently translated as "megamid".

It's an excellent combination for snow on the ground, with a few drawbacks- spindrift becomes a living space problem, the tarp doesn't give you a temperature boost the way a tent does (though a megamid will) and your own breath is more likely to snow back down on you.

That said for quick weekends it's a mighty combination and one could say warmer, with a bivy you're much more likely to cook and lounge in your bag.

Here's another couple of alternatives in the tarp category: Gossamer Gear shelters . I can attest to the quality of the product as my G-4 pack is the best I've owned. It's top quality stuff at very reasonable prices, not to mention the fact that Glen and his crew are just great people.