Umbagog June 11-13,07.... bear takes a swim....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
Oh sure, I put in the the good part right in the title...
so the telling of the tale goes like this.....
Realizing I had a "window of opportunity" to spend a couple of nights up on Lake Umbagog ...part in NH and part in Maine...1 bivy bag & 1 tent figured that would about cover possibilities I might face...a stratergy I used to good affect last fall when it had snowed while there late in the season.

Wildlife Galore !!
The put in at Errol launch site was closed ....much to my surprise.. but it gave reference to a spot 2 miles up the road 2 miles closer to Umbagog itself.
I was putting in the water with the shadow of dusk looking over my shoulder.. There are two phantom campsites on my map in the northern part of the lake where the Androscoggin & Magalloway River join... making a nice delta area and great habitat for wildlife with it's "floating islands" and solid ground.
Thinking I was there I turn into an area of that describtion.......

I see it in an Instant....something swimining in the water. Something swimming to me .

A swimming head...that's really all you see...could be a unicorn..you never know.
Well, maybe not this one , it's head was to dark ...darkest darn Moose head swimming thing I ever did see.
I move my boat and let it drift into some reeds of grass silently...almost...
The reeds make a noise on my paddle and my swimming moose head started to look more and more like a swimming bear head....something I had never seen. For that matter I think I was the first he ever saw...he was about half way across the marshy river crossing.

He could just now see me, and you could read his body language, treading
water, stayng in one spot he turns an looks for an alternate landing place on a close by island, then back at me, back to the island a couple of times and the decision is made !
He's picked his spot to land even though he knows I can see him...we know we've both seen each other... and no one wants to be pestering the other.
OFF I go...in search of a landing site...with fadeing light... silently I paddle past a moose as she feeds off the bottom of the shallows.
Bald Eagle flies over head returning to the nest for the evening I would think.

Putting onto the river 2 miles from usual and a rusty memory I find myself doing a bit of a loop... which always seems to bring me back to the spot of ....Isn't this the place I just saw the bear cross...
Opting for a place somewhere between the Moose and the Bear I realize it's a bivy bag (body bag) kind of night. No cooking, no fire , no problembo.

Mosquitos the size of helicopters....I dove into the bag and ziped the netting.. it actually sounded like the whine of a motor, the noise they made.

Noises in the night...things that go bump, crash, splash in the night..in the deepest dark of the wee little hrs....that always sets the mind to wandering....

Next day excellent " moose on tip toes...will write more later

Last edited:
spider: I'm planning to fish below the dam next weekend. What's up with the access? I was there last weekend and all was fine to Errol Dam, and the lauch was also open.

Nice report! Umbagog is a lousy place to go. Everyone should stay away :rolleyes: A swimming bear is a rare site indeed!

Nice TR--love the write up too! Yep--it's really so lousy up there that everyone should stay away. ;)

SherpaKroto said:

Nice report! Umbagog is a lousy place to go. Everyone should stay away :rolleyes: A swimming bear is a rare site indeed!

Geez,I really hate Umbagog,every year if possible! :D

It's an 11 mile paddle from site 29 to the camp store-but they had ice cream.
Seemed worthwhile to me!

Sherpa K just to make sure we are talking the same place...I was at the Androscoggin River Boat Access right near the dam. nice place, green lawn, Out house...had a concrete barrigade at the ramp saying the launch was closed because of the amount of logs being held by the boom and untill such danger was made to be less.
Looked okay to me but played it safe and obeyed . Always a good idea esp leaving your car for a few days...at least that's what I told myself.
Happy fishing.
thanks
spider
....now that I am thinking about it.... I am up stream...heading upstream to the Lake.... probably a different spot....

Last edited:
Nope - same spot, but I fish below the dam. I know the spot that you are talking about. When they are holding back the logs it would be nearly impossible to pass through there if you put in just above the dam. I also know where you put in. Good spot to take a few miles off the trip, and the place to take out when doing the Magalloway>Umbagog>Upper Andro. By then, I was pretty tired when we did it 2 years ago. Lousy spot, lousy paddling. Definitely head to a spot with less wildlofe and dirtier water.

Thanks for the heads up!

I agree, lousy place to be, hate having to go there for at least ONE weekend every year! :p

I mean really, the loons keep you up half the night with their chatter!

:rolleyes:

part 2 the stealthful Moose...

For my second night I found an obscure location with the tiniest of sand "beaches" to nestle into. This evening I was able to use the tent in all it's glory...a small little affair but luxurious compared to the previous days bivy sack.
Off to the side and behind a boulder... I figured I'd be out of the way in the event "things" came down the water for a drink.
"Things" did indeed appear... heard but not seen...Things.

Birds ....you could hear the flutter of their wings as the down from the tree tops and make their way for what was apparently the evenings bath. Splashing and fluffing their feathers, then off they would go to some secrect spot to finish their preening and primping to their hearts content.

In the middle of the night I woke to the sounds of something walking about in the water, figured it was a moose but suddenly I heard startled splashing and something ran away for a few feet then more splashing and off it went through the woods breaking and crackling through the forest.
It was the strange vocals that I couldn't figure out not the coughing hack of a Bob Cat...but some kind of strange "bleating" sound.
The morning I found what appeared to be Deer footprints..much to small for a moose...but I would sure take advice as to weather have heard such a similar sounding from Deer or Moose, perhaps as a warning to others ??

Next morning I'm on the water before 6 o' clock. I can hear the wind is "up" already and I'm not anxious to see if it builds throughout the day.
Taking a more direct line back I make excellent time.

Mr Moose...

Time enough to see one last walk on the wild side with Mr Moose.
This time it really is a Moose browsing on the semi solid marshland at the headwaters. I park myself in amoungst the reeds a good distance and river swim away. I go unnoticed, undetected.
What it does notice is the power boat that has come up the Androsoggin...The boat idles as quitely as it can and the moose scurries off a little ways behind the thin covering of some random trees, but effectively obscuring it'self to the boaters. The Moose seems a bit restless to move on now that it has been seen... I wait in anticipation.
As the motor boat pulls a way to continue to it's destination the Moose comes back into view and as the boat fades into the distance

Mr Moose Makes his Move...a move I have seen before...
he "tip toes "and Sloshes his way to rivers edge and walks directly in and starts swiming directly toward me..still unseen.
I always like to watch moose swim ..something about such a huge animal disappearing under the water till only it's head held high is all that can be seen...now it's head, shoulders are starting to tower over me as he reverses the sequence and the full body emerges about 20 ft away..directly in front of me and we lock gazes while our decisions are made.
I agree to paddle backwards and ease myself away and point down river.
Mr Moose??
Well he agrees to pretend I don't exist and as I fade away, I see him do exactly what he had just done with the power boat.
I turn ...and look over my shoulder in time to see ..the Moose..using all his stealthability... slowly tip toe his way.. behind my back...to more succulent grasses for I guess in Mooseland the grass is always greener on the other side..

The Bald Eagle and Blue Heron did their fair share to make it a special morning indeed !

p.s. do not go there
..for "if you go out in the woods tonigtht you better not go alone..."
wild buggy splashy things all around, ewwww...

Last edited:
Wonderfully written T/R!

Thanks for reminding us why no one should ever go to Umbagog.

EVER.

;)