unidentified tower?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halia and flammeus

Reaction score
Portrait of a malinois at play (serious business!)
Ok, if you are standing on the summit of Wittenberg, looking south (i.e. your back is facing Overlook), on a clear day, with binoculars, what the heck is that huge thing way off in the distance? By way off, I'd guess at least 40 miles or so. The compass bearing was 194 degrees South. It looked like a building? Too beefy for a fire tower, and on top of a decently tall hill. And it was really tall.

Thanks,
Halia

Have you guys seen it from Wittenberg? It must be a strange perspective thing, because from that angle the tower looks nearly as tall as the hill it is on! The monument in the photo Tom posted the link to doesn't seem "beefy" enough, but I can't imagine what else it could possibly be.

Yes, definitely High Point. In fact, on a very clear day, you can see it from Westkill! (BuckRidge Lookout)

Definitely High Point. From High Point and some parts of the Highlands, you can clearly make out specific Catskill mountains, so I'm assuming that the other way around is true.