Upgrade Tubbs' crampons?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLhiker

Reaction score
I've a pair of Tubbs Sierras and a pair of Tubbs Katahdins. The aluminum crampons on both are worn down to the point of being ineffective in icy conditions.

Does anyone know if I can replace these crampons with Viper crampons--do they fit as they come, or can they be rigged?

I've sent the question to Tubbs, but haven't heard back yet. Just wanted to hear from anyone who has already done this...or tried.

Yes, I've done that with Tubbs shoes. Women or Mens.

AT the time they charged me $ 30.00 for the set. They come with nuts,bolts,anti-bott plates.

They'll bolt right on with no drilling.

I upgraded my Tubbs Sierras to the stainless steel Vipers crampons last year for about $30. Really easy to install and you'll notice a big difference on the trail.

After initially calling, received the Vipers in less than one week's time. Was really surprised when a second set showed up a few days later! Called Tubbs to inquire about the return process and they just said to keep them.

Now I'm looking for a smaller pair of Tubbs that I can pick up cheap to put the extra Vipers on. :)

Thanks Kevin, much appreciated. The 25 inch model looks pretty good. Not really familiar with the bindings on those shoes, but I've had great luck with the older fastex buckle type bindings so would probably opt to go that route.

MarshallM said:
Thanks Kevin, much appreciated. The 25 inch model looks pretty good. Not really familiar with the bindings on those shoes, but I've had great luck with the older fastex buckle type bindings so would probably opt to go that route.

Those bindings are T91 Control Wings and are an excellent binding. They keep your heel centered on the shoe, and are easy to adjust. Also you can't even tell they are on your foot.

Freezeing doesn't seem to make them hard to unlock.

I believe the Altitude for life by Tubbs.

Last edited:
CaptCaper, I probably need to get beyond the "If it ain't broken…" mentality. However, short of stepping into and having to work out of a nasty spruce trap, I can't remember the last time that the fastex buckle bindings on my Sierra's had any kind of binding failure.

I'm not familar with the Fastex bindings. I know the T91's have Fastex buckles on them. We had bindings before from Tubbs that were similar to the 91's except the rear heel strap was plastic and had a rachet buckle to tighen up. I found they were a pain to operate and the heel stap kept pulling out. My wifes did the same.

Tubbs was great in that they gave us new T91's and they have performed great.

We just got new Pinnacles and traded in the Bear Hugs for T91's and just did a 3 mile trek and we could hardley tell they were on are feet. They were lighter than others we've used. The new Easton Aluminum frames are lighter.

Anyway the bindings worked well as they did before for us and didn't have any discomfort from them even though we were in some rough terrain.

Capt.

Last edited: