Using two sleeping bags for winter camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the double-bag once and it gave me unbearable claustrophobia. I don't normally have a big problem with that--can do some cave crawls, normal mummy bags fine, etc.--but I was glad I had an indoor bail-out available. Something to consider.

I was at Zealand Hut last weekend and did the double bag. One bag was 0 degrees (down) and the other 35 degrees (polyester). The temps got down to -7 and I was actually too warm in the double bag.

I was at Zealand Hut last weekend and did the double bag. One bag was 0 degrees (down) and the other 35 degrees (polyester). The temps got down to -7 and I was actually too warm in the double bag.
One of the advantages of the double bag is, of course, that one is not required to use both bags on warm nights. I have also ejected a hot water bottle on occasion...

Doug

long-trail-double-bag-ale.jpg

Double Bag is not a suitable replacement for a sleeping bag, especially if you believe prior discussions about whether it's harder to stay warm with a full bladder, but you'll fall asleep happy.

long-trail-double-bag-ale.jpg

Double Bag is not a suitable replacement for a sleeping bag, especially if you believe prior discussions about whether it's harder to stay warm with a full bladder, but you'll fall asleep happy.

So would you say if you do too much Double Bag action, you would be "in the bag"? :rolleyes:

You can add the equivalent of about 10degrees by using a vapor barrier liner.
Or toss a couple of handwarmers into the inner bag and you should be toasty warm.

Here's another way to use ! QUOTE] or three +

Maybe the should call them orgy bags?

You can add the equivalent of about 10degrees by using a vapor barrier liner.
Or toss a couple of handwarmers into the inner bag and you should be toasty warm.

or add more bodies to bring up the temperature. That's got to be be worth more than 10 degrees.

Last edited: