Vacation Week: Welch&Dickey, Zealand, Liberty & the Sugarloaves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerAmiga

Reaction score
Vacation Week: Welch&Dickey, Liberty, Zealand & the Sugarloaves

I just took a short, 4 weekdays-worth vacation last week and surprised myself at how much hiking I actually did! Not to toot my own horn but I had so much fun and actually got in some good hiking (by my standards) all by my lonesome and loving it!! :p

I won't bore people with a lot of details but to follow is a running list of my hikes with a brief summary for each and accompanying pics:

Trail: Welch and Dickey Trail (Loop)
Date Hiked: 7-03-07

Very dry trail conditions including the countless rock slabs(ideal!). This trail is quite steep especially ascending Welch, latter half! (Not recommended for persons who suffer vertigo and certainly not recommended during or after inclement weather).

Note that this loop is an amazing hike! The views abound and are just magnificent for a 4.5 mile loop. Again, ideally done in dry weather as much of the hike is steep and on rock slabs/ledges that could be dangerous in wet/icy weather! :eek:

This one is one of my favorites and one to definitely repeat!

Pics: http://hikeramiga.phanfare.com/album/338068

Trail: Mt. Liberty: White House - Liberty Springs - Franconia Ridge Trails
Date Hiked: 7-04-07 (On Independence Day--how fitting is that?!)

Whitehouse was short, level, dry. Liberty Springs was moist in places (not too bad) and over half this trail is unrelentingly steep and rocky! (Long slog up!) Franconia ridge trail portion was a short .3/mile, steep towards the summit. All trails were well blazed.

The steepness of the Liberty Springs Trail is a good workout and while it makes the hike seem more daunting, in the end the rewards are immense! Beautiful peak!

Pics: http://hikeramiga.phanfare.com/album/338146#imageID=20820183

Trail: Zealand Mountain: Zealand and Twinway Trails (3rd times the charm...finally got this baby done!!)
Date Hiked: 7-05-07

Zealand Trail was moist, wed and muddy in many places due to rainfall the previous night. Gorgeous trail! Twinway also was moist/wet in many places, awesome alpine sections, varying terrain, moderately steep in places--a delight of a trail!

I've heard people complain about Zealand's viewless summit but I say, "who cares?!" The overall journey there is just awesome!! Easiest 4k I've done, I feel and certainly the most enjoyable!! :D

This hike is another one of my very favorites!! I could go back again and again! :)

Pics: http://hikeramiga.phanfare.com/album/338149#imageID=20820559

Trail: Sugarloaf Trail to Middle and North Sugarloaves
Date Hiked: 7-06-07

Slightly moist, wet and muddy in a handful of places but overall dry. Rooty and rocky in places. Starts off level and gets moderately steep half way to the junction (col between peaks). Initially you get views of Zealand River through the trees.

A delightful short hike of about 3 1/4 miles. Middle Sugarloaf (summit .4/mile from junction) has larger summit and expansive views to go along with it. North Sugarloaf (summit .3/mile from junction) is very nice too, less exposed with more vegetation but has an outer trail that allows you to move around the summit.

Nice hike that affords one a decent workout when pressed for time especially and offers outstanding views at both summits. However, if you can only do one peak, then the higher one, Middle Sugarloaf is your best bet!

Pics: http://hikeramiga.phanfare.com/album/338157

(Note: pictures are not edited with the usual sprucing software, so they're not my best work).

Also have to mention that I had the full hiker's experience by lodging at Lyons Hospitality in Twin Mountain. The owners were very hospitable indeed and I had a fabulous time there, again, if only by my lonesome as I was the only hiker guest for the three nights that I was there!! (I'm not complaining; had the place all to my self at $20/night!) They are selling this establishment, I learned, and I hope that whoever buys it will continue the tradition of catering to the hiking community with affordable lodging.

I notice too that it made such a huge difference for me being up North and in the vicinity of these hiking trails! Made it so much easier to perform each, etc. Hmmm? Something to look forward to in the near future if my relocation plans work out.

Hope my short TR's and pics are helpful to someone!

Best,

Last edited:
Sweet! No one will ever convince me that Middle Sugarloaf is not the most bang for the buck in the Whites, right SherpaK...? :D

All great hikes! And as Gris pointed out the Sugarloafs offer great views for so little work - a nice hike when you only have a limited time.