Vermont Rt. 108

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Does anyone know the status of this road right now? Planning a trip up Mansfield.

It's still closed from the usual points - Smuggs to near Mansfield Ski area. I was up the Smuggs side on a bike last week and we were turned back by snow about 1 mile from the summit.

Neil, you probably already know this, but if you skip the 108 side and hike from Underhill, the Sunset Ridge is probably one of the best trails in Vermont. Loop across the ridge to the Halfway Trail (I think that's what it is called) and it'll be one of the best "alpine" routes in Vermont.

Just sayin' :D

agreed.
underhill side has better hiking!
neil, when you hitting mansfield? i will probably be there this weekend.
well i will definately be there this weekend with snowboard.
road is still closed.

Had planned on Saturday but POP=90%. Will wait for better weather.

Feel free to join me on a bushwhack of a Quebec 2ker on Saturday.

Neil.. it's called soda. What are you from Western NY? :p

I like to go by the 108 side better than Underhill, but that's just me (really, it is :eek:).

It's true that Sunset Ridge is pretty. Usually is very good condition too, for what I remember. BUT... Hell Brook is a wicked fun trail, and I like getting on the summit fast, that allows plenty of time to walk the entire ridge, and come down near the ski trails. Summer would be a better choice I guess.

I like to go by the 108 side better than Underhill, but that's just me (really, it is :eek:).

It's true that Sunset Ridge is pretty. Usually is very good condition too, for what I remember. BUT... Hell Brook is a wicked fun trail, and I like getting on the summit fast, that allows plenty of time to walk the entire ridge, and come down near the ski trails. Summer would be a better choice I guess.

agreed,
that hellbrook is a nice trail............
but, both ridge trails on underhill side are fantastic and get you up out of the trees quickly. havent done hellbrook in winter but i would think it would be pretty tough!

if you skip the 108 side and hike from Underhill, the Sunset Ridge is probably one of the best trails in Vermont.
I was going to try that last month but there were too many mudholes on the road in for a 2wd by myself and no place to park anywhere close