VHF or FRS radios inland

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
I am wondering how many people own VHF radios, obviously useful along the coast, for inland rivers and larger lakes. (i.e Hudson River). I assume that limited people are listening inland. The weather feature seems very useful but a very expensive way ($150-$200 avg) to get it versus just a stand-alone weather radio.

At a lower price, perhaps the FRS radios are more practical inland, but again, only as good as someone listening.

My question is from a need for help use, not chit-chat of paddlers in a group.

IMO, FRS radios would be useless for this purpose.

Don't have any direct knowledge, but I'd expect that a marine VHF radio would be most likely to be useful, particularly if there is commercial boat traffic in the area.

Doug

...not that all commercial boats really use it (for anything other than emergencies)... At least my experience with paddling in Maine near the lobstermen harbors...

Jay

We'd recommend carrying a cell phone as well in case any boats around do not have it on or cannot hear it over the engines.

We have only used a VHF once while paddling in Maine, but we did receive a reply. We were headed back to Port Clyde from Monhegan Island in pea soup fog. We heard a large engine that was seemed to be slowly getting louder. We did a Securité call indicating our location and direction. A ferry that was traveling perpendicular to our curse responded where he was and his course.

Jay H said:
...not that all commercial boats really use it (for anything other than emergencies)... At least my experience with paddling in Maine near the lobstermen harbors...

Jay
Most of the lobstermen are monitoring thir own local channels,usually 68-69 or 71. You can ask at any local marina where you paddle and they can tell you what the locals are on. Of course if you monitor the local channels you have to listen to some really strange conversations!