Vitamins

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puck,

What you describe is the CDC's attempt to cover, via bioinformatics, the genetic drift that can occur with the envelope proteins, and like I said, it is possible that the studies do not cover the strains that are currently circulating around our day to day lives. As for side effects, they are extremely mild, and have the same rates as placebo injections. In addition, any foreign substance injected can cause an inflammatory reaction, and cause the release of cytokines (like you mentioned earlier) which may cause mild fever, etc. However, unlike the actual flu, the inactivated virus particles do not cause a pathophysiologic process.

A study done predicts that the vaccine covers 50-80% against clinically diagnosed cases of the flu (ie, even those strains not covered by the vaccine), and reduces the incidence of the flu by 68% by laboratory diagnoses. This study included a couple of years where the vaccine poorly covered the circulating strains of influenza.

As for the immune system. Yes, there are many aspects of the immune system, and I agree that a decrease in infectious disease is helped by public health services, nutrition, personal hygiene, etc. But vaccinations are of tremendous health. You only need to look at the decreased numbers of mumps, measles, rubella, chicken pox, hepatitis B, etc.

I cite these facts only to dispel the myths of flu vaccinations. They do work, maybe not all the time, but it works. And, you will not get the flu from the vaccine.

As for elderberry, since you seem to know a lot about proteins, elderberry contains a protein class called ribosome inactivating protein. This is the same class as that of ricin. However, I apologize for causing any sort of fear in my prevoius post; the toxicity of elderberry is FAR less than ricin and may not cause any appreciable problems in humans. For those that are interested, here are a few sources:

Batelli MG, Citores L, "Toxicity and cytotoxicity of nigrin b, a two-chain ribosome inactivating protein from Sambucus nigra: comparison with ricin" Archives of Toxicology, 71;6:360-364.

Peumans WJ, Roy S, Barre A. "Elderberry (sambucus nigra) contains truncated nedu4Ac(a-2-6)Gal/GalNAc-binding type 2 ribosome-inactivating proteins" FEBS letters, 425:35-39.

Rojo MA, Yato M, Shibuya N, "Isolation, cDNA Cloning, biological properties, and arbohydrate binding specificity of Sieboldin-b, a type II RIP from the Bark of japanese elderberry, sambucus sieboldiana" Arch of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 340;2:185-194.

Sorry, i think this post is a bit long, but i hope i clarified info about the flu vaccines for everyone.

Aviarome
Thanks for the citations. I tried to email you privately as this thread has become off topic. The info about sambucus niger sounds interesting.
I am a homeopath in the early stages of developing my practice. So my day job is working in a lab at a pharmaceutical company in support of clinical trials. I personally am opposed to vaccinations as you could probably tell. I think a healthy person should get a flu and cold from time to time and I child should have measels and mumps. It makes them stronger.

I am curious, however, how many people on this board, being very active in the winter get sick and bedridden during the winter (cold and flu season).

Puck, there are a zillion viruses out there, constantly mutating. That's why we don't develop resistance to colds or flu in general. There's always another out there waiting for you.

As for measles, there's rather a high death and complication rate, much higher than complications from the vaccine. Mumps is just plain miserable. Why would anyone want to subject their children to either one, in addition to exposing other vulnerable and perhaps fragile people to the disease? Sorry, I've never understood the anti-immunization crusade.

Posted by Audrey
Sorry, I've never understood the anti-immunization crusade

Sorry, totally off subject but,
I'm Pro immunization, my sister who is the president of the National Autistic society believes that a preservative in immunizations has caused the autism epidemic we're seeing now...I'm curious what others think.

Oscillococcinum

If you do get the flu or a very bad cold, try Oscillococcinum. You used to be able to get it only in health food stores, but now most drug stores carry this. If you take it at the first signs of fever, chills, cough, etc. and continue to follow the regimen on the box, you will improve dramatically within 48 hours. I always have a box of this stuff in my house beginning in November. I have used it twice - it was pretty amazing. While everyone else in the office was having colds and flu lasting more than 10 days, I was better within 2!

I also up my vitamin C intake during the winter (from 500 mg to 1000mg) and I take Flax Seed Oil (similar to fish oil as Audrey mentioned). Actually, any Omega 3 or 6 fatty acid is good for you. That, and a positive attitude: "I will not be sick." :p

audrey said:
Puck, there are a zillion viruses out there, constantly mutating. That's why we don't develop resistance to colds or flu in general. There's always another out there waiting for you.

As for measles, there's rather a high death and complication rate, much higher than complications from the vaccine. Mumps is just plain miserable. Why would anyone want to subject their children to either one, in addition to exposing other vulnerable and perhaps fragile people to the disease? Sorry, I've never understood the anti-immunization crusade.

Hi AUdrey

This is a huge, complicated and potentialy volital, off topic subject. Let me start out by saying my kid is not immunized. It was a decision that was made after alot of research and thinking. Factors included weighing the risk of the disease against the risk of the immunization. Understanding the efficacy of immunization. Does it work within the year or the life time? Although the DPT vaccine is mandatory there is a pertussis epidemic every year. Only the extreme cases are reported. IN the case of the MMR vaccine what happens when and if these individuals get these diseases as adults? What role does thimersol play in autism. What about the arguements that allergies and asthma rates have increased exponentialy due to immunization.There are a lot of factors. there are a lot of very intellengent very well trained health proffesionals and scientists on both sides of the issue. Myself being an alternative health care proffesional I do not come down in a draconic fashion that all immunization is bad and parents who take thier kids in for shots are evil. Of course not. Parents love thier kids and make decisions based on what they know and trust and act in thier kids best interest. I strongly urge parents to read up on the issue and make an informed and responsible decison. I feel that we as parents have the right to make these healthcare decisions without it being forced down our throats. Fortunatly there seems to be more and more physicians who are sensetive to these issues.

The remedy Oscillococcinum is a product made by Boiron. It is made from a duck liver infected with influenza virus. This is good used on the onset of symptoms or prophelacticaly. However, if full blown flu sets in the specific remedy is thebn needed and Oscillococcinumwill not work. For example Gelsemium is very common and effective.

Good reply, Puck.

Immunization is great in theory, but when capitalism and private enterprise are involved in taking it to practice, there is a great divide between sparing no expense to make sure every last side effect is scoured and safely under control, and the beck of the master's call ... i.e. shareholders and the board.

Vitamin C, humidifiers in the house, and lots of fruits and vegetables, coupled with a nice walk every day to fill the lungs with fresh air usually does the trick to keep me in hiking shape through the winter.

I only "get sick" when a pre-planned trip to Haystack or Basin is still a go in -25* weather. Somehow I always call in sick for those!

Thanks to all who responded. It looks like I need to try Endurox R4 for recovery, and my multivitamin will suffice for most everything else. Interesting about the B complex vitamins having a bug fighting ability. I'll have to look into that too.

John