Voyageurs NP and Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
Anyone here with experience at Voyageurs NP and Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness?

I scouted the area out four years ago while heading for another destination and concluded that, as a paddling destination, I'd be as content in the North Maine Woods which is a lot more convenient, part of the same Northern Boreal Forest and offers the advantage of nearby mountains. So I concluded that a different kind of trip might be worthwhile, renting a houseboat and carrying kayak(s) for a grander tour and access to some remote areas. No specific itinerary in mind but that was the framework I was considering. What say you?

Grew up paddling both 'afore they were federalized. :)

Real good place to start is BWCA.COM. Read the home page and links, then go to the friendly forums for specific questions. My first bit of advice you ignore at your own peril: Go in September (best month of all) or early, early October, if at all possible. Unless you've spent time in Canada or Alaska, you don't know from bugs yet. Come Labor Day, they will have knocked it off for the most part. And the heat and humidity in July and August will have you wishing you were doing more swimming than paddling some days. Watch the summer sky at all times for hints of very serious storms.

Official Voyageurs info is at Plan Your Visit.

Come back to me here or by PM if you have any unanswered questions.

BTW, you're nuts if you don't do the BWCA as a multiday paddling trip. Nothing in Maine, even the vaunted Allagash, comes close.

Last edited: