VT/NH overnight backpacking "Loop" hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMartman

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knew of any good overnight backpacking "loop" type trips. I wouild be based out of Killington. I just hate spotting a car at the trail end or being picked up. When coming from Jersey driving 2 cars up to VT is a pain as well as renting one in VT is also a pain. Would like to find some loop trips round 20+ miles?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

M

For NH I'd recommend the Pemi-loop. Most do it as a 3-4 day backpack, plenty of established campsites along the way. Start and end at the Wilderness trail on RT-112. 31.5 miles total.

Jim lombard said:
For NH I'd recommend the Pemi-loop. Most do it as a 3-4 day backpack, plenty of established campsites along the way. Start and end at the Wilderness trail on RT-112. 31.5 miles total.

Gracias........

M

There are a lot of possibilities and I am sure many will be offered. You said based out of Killington, here is one you will find in the Long Trail Guide. It begins in a parking area in South Lincoln. Using the Emily Proctor Trail, the Long Trail and the Glen Cooley Trail you can start and end at the same parking lot. It is only 12.5 miles but involves nearly 4k of climbing and takes in two of the NE 100 highest plus two other peaks that come close to qualifying for that list. There are two shelters, Emily Proctor and Glen Cooley. Emily Proctor shelter is 3.5 miles 2500 ft of ascent an est. With camp set here you can dayhike 1 mile 400 feet on the L-T south to Breadloaf Mt ( 100 list). The next day it is 5.6 mi on the L-T north over Mt Wilson ( 100 list) then Roosevelt and Cleveland and then down to Glen Cooley Shelter at about 3000 feet. From there it another 2k plus and 3.5 down to the parking lot. Either direction will work.

if you don't want to carspot-try the shuttle

in the white mountains the amc runs a shuttle- outdoors.org for pickup times, its actually fairly cheap and reliable

VT loops

Another nice one utilizing the Long Trail is the Griffith Lake/Old Job Trail loop. Griffith Lake tenting area is beautiful. Griffith Lake as a base camp with a slackpack up the LT/AT with return on the Old Job Trail is a nice long easy walk, plus you can swim afterward in Griffith Lake. There are also really nice campsites shortly after you turn south on the Old Job Trail along the river, and a lean too.

Have fun
Sabrina

I don't know how many miles this is, but I've done Franconia Ridge as an overnight, starting in the afternoon. Park at Lafayette Place, go south to the Liberty Spring Trail; take that trail to the Liberty Spring tent platforms for the night. Next morning, continue up to the Franconia Ridge Trail. Drop your pack, bag Mt. Liberty (a short distance to the south), come back to your pack and hike north to Mt. Lafayette. Then go down the Old Bridle Path back to your car.

[This is from memory; check a map to be sure I got this all correct...]

Assuming the weather is good, this gets you a really lovely view of the Pemi and Franconia Notch. If you get to Haystack and either the weather is dicey (common...) or you're just tired, you can descend the Falling Waters Trail to the same end point.

I love Franconia Ridge...

-- Jerry

Last edited:
Una_dogger's suggestion is part of a favorite day hike of mine that comes in at just over 20. Starting from the Danby-Landsgrove road, take LT south to Griffith Lake, return via Old Job to LT then LT north to Green Mountain Trail and south along that back to the road, then a quick road walk back to the car. There are several shelters and campsites along the way. This area is a little south of Killington.

The Stratton Mountain area, further south - closer to the MA border - also has numerous trails that can be looped into 20 mile hikes.