Wachusett four ways, 6/3/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bristlecone

Reaction score
After casting about for what to do after work today, I happened upon the idea of a trail run at Wachusett. It's nice to be able to loop around various ways without too much backtracking, and not too much driving to get there.

The ice storm damage was almost entirely cleared from the trails with just a handful of minor exceptions, the most notable of which was on Westside between the Semuhenna and Old Indian junctions.

Up Bolton Pond, where some minor mud was more than offset by the big green ferns covering the forest floor in all directions. Bugs were only an issue after stopping for a few minutes, so as usual it was run a bit, do a few stretches, run a bit more, stretch a bit more. Upon crossing a ski trail I was admonished by a large banner to get with the "Smart style safety program." Point taken, no aerial maneuvers for me today.

By the time I got to the top I realized how great the conditions were - light breeze, dry underfoot, high clouds to keep things cool, yet clear viewing out to what I think were Greylock, Mt Snow, Ascutney, and others.

Down Pine Hill, which is so badly eroded that it's just one of those soul-sucking, that-poor-mountain kind of trails. The graffiti freshly scratched into the bedrock didn't help with that feeling. Looping back up via Bicentennial / Loop / Mtn House restored my spirits, as did the next descent down Jack Frost through one of my favorite spots on the mountain. High Meadow / Echo Lake brought me to the lower part of Stage Coach, which has been built up with gravel to get large construction equipment up to the wind farm to be(?) Bring on the windmills I say, IMBY. Need 'em.

Took Harrington up to a point about six feet from a woodpecker that was deeply unbothered by my presence; there I decided to tarry. Up the steeper part of Harrington it became a rather slow, plodding run, pleasantly broken up by a break at the obligatory viewpoint. Back to the summit to note clouds slightly thickening, but no worries.

Back down Harrington (gingerly!), across Semuhenna. I started descending Westside but the brush quickly closed in. I didn't know whether it continued like that, but my tick freakout meter was redlining (it's sensitive) so I turned tail and headed back for the summit for the last time on Westside and Old Indian. I suppose that makes it "Wachusett three and a half ways." That slow, plodding running technique made a reappearance along the way up.

On the final descent I managed to trip over something, ironically right in front of the "Smart style safety program" banner. No crash, all was good. On down through ferntopia, a final gander at Bolton Pond, and out.

Very pleasant, and the day goes to... a tie between the woodpecker and ferntopia.

Very cool.

I did a similar trip a few years ago.
4 times from every side.

I've been wanting to do all trails and roads in a day since then but, haven't pulled the trigger yet.

It would be 17+ miles. Or actually, closer to 20 mi, when you figure in you're going to have to do some sections more than once.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do this with minimal backtracking.

I've been wanting to do all trails and roads in a day since then but, haven't pulled the trigger yet.

It would be 17+ miles. Or actually, closer to 20 mi, when you figure in you're going to have to do some sections more than once.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do this with minimal backtracking.
So I'm not the only one mulling this idea... Only my inital route planning was just for the trails, no roads unless I need to make connections. Let me know if you ever give it a go. I'm not in shape to do something like that right now, maybe by the fall.

They are burying the power lines to the summit, so that may be the reason for the construction equipment. The Longsjo bike race finish is being relocated from the summit to Princeton on account of the construction.