Washing a backpack ???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobandgeri

Reaction score
We've noticed that our summer packs are covered with salt and starting to smell less than ideal. Any suggestions on the best way to clean/wash them so we do not smell like a couple of thru hikers that haven't been out of the woods in a while?

As luck would have it, I just washed one last night! I have a small trail running pack that I had worn for the adk trail race, and then worn again for the great rage a couple weeks later. It was smelling pretty bad. I had sprayed it with Lysol and left it out in the sun, but that didn't help it.

I ran it gentle cycle, by itself, with a LITTLE woolite (like a capful) and quite a bit of ordinary bleach (like a couple ounces).

All fixed. Bleach kills everything. And it did not seem to harm the pack, but that may vary with materials. The pack experienced no shrinkage or color loss.

if ANYTHING i'd wash in WAY COLD water in a gentle cycle like previously mentioned, and DO NOT put it in the dryer.....I did it once....and all the padding disintegrated or melted..there was no evidence of it left...so...LINE DRY ONLY...

M

From Kelty;
Backpack Care Cleaning

-Brush off loose dirt with a dry brush
-As needed, wipe out the inside with a damp sponge and mild soap
-Rinse only, if possible. Use cold water and a sponge or rinse in a tub without soap
-Machine wash in front-loading unit (DO NOT use machine with agitator, agitator could cause damage not covered under warranty) with cold water and mild soap (Ivory Flakes, Woolite, Sport Wash, Etc.) Not detergents
-Do Not soak in soapy water, it may cause delamination
-Rinse thoroughly to eliminate soap residue.
-Place pack on frame to air dry. DO NOT use a dryer
-Always store in a cool, dry area

I use Woolite on gentle cycle too. But I use Biz rather than chlorine bleach. I think it's easier on the threads and it's got enzimes that seem to help with the odors.

I concur with the air dry.

I use this same process on my wicking shirts with good results.

I've washed my packs like I wash my car: out in the driveway with a hose and a soapy brush. Rinse, wash, rinse and rinse again. The back cushion absorbs a lot of sweat so soak it then squeeze it out several times. Hang upside down in the sun. Make sure the top opening stays open for air flow (rig a clothes hanger to keep it open) and for complete dripping. I personally would not even consider a washing machine but that's me. You can even finish it off with a little spray of Fabreze on the back pad if it's really gamey.

JohnL

JohnL said:
I've washed my packs like I wash my car: out in the driveway with a hose and a soapy brush. Rinse, wash, rinse and rinse again. The back cushion absorbs a lot of sweat so soak it then squeeze it out several times. Hang upside down in the sun. Make sure the top opening stays open for air flow (rig a clothes hanger to keep it open) and for complete dripping. I personally would not even consider a washing machine but that's me. You can even finish it off with a little spray of Fabreze on the back pad if it's really gamey.

JohnL

I am with John on this too.
Why are folks being so dainty with Woolight?

"you'll look better in sweater...washed in wool...light!" or so goes the jingle :D

Seriously, the urethane waterproof lamination on the inside of the pack is subject to delam by harsh abrasive detergents, but not soft soaps.
I would probably avoid hot water too.

But all other exterior components, stitching, fabric, webbing ect, all can take the punishment of "car wash" abuse no problem.
Take it from me, I know my fabrics and have been a sailmaker for years and experienced first hand how things fall apart.
Heck, I use acetone to remove pine pitch!

Sooner or later ALL urethane coatings will fall apart due to abrasion.
Some fabric softeners and bleach might affect the laminate as well.
Just use soft soap and a brush, bucket and hose.
No need to machine wash as this just works the urethane coating by agitation.

Brownie

I have a front loading machine and have repeatedly washed some smaller packs with no problems. Hang to dry. Larger packs I have done in the bathtub. Cover with warm water and your choice of cleaner, use the feet to agitate (think smushing grapes :) ), rinse, and hang to dry. If desired they can be sprayed out with a silicone (or other water repellant) after they are dry. Works for me.

We are supposed to clean these things! :eek: And I thought the smell was how to determine the veterans from the newbies! :rolleyes:

Rik said:
We are supposed to clean these things! :eek: And I thought the smell was how to determine the veterans from the newbies! :rolleyes:

Ha I was thinking along those same lines....I like the "stink" means I worked at least at some point...Ha :)

M

Rik said:
:eek: eeeEEeeuuwwWWWw! :eek:

I've found I can spot clean my pack from undesirable smells, too. I've used baking soda--created a paste with it and water and put it on the smelly part of the bag and let it set overnight. The next day (or two, depending on what the stinky is) I rinsed it off well, hung it to dry in the sun, and the funky smell was gone. :)

I called LLBean just the other day to see what they recommended. They said to put the pack in the tub with a mild detergent and let it soak. Then rinse and hang upside down to dry.

I fill the tub with enough water to cover the thing. I add laundry soap adn stomp on it. Turn it inside out and repaet the process again. Rinse it in clean fresh water to get all the soap out, then drain it well by hanging it over the tub for an hour. I take it outside and hang it on the laundry line in the sun... inside out till dry then turn it right side out to dry the shoulder straps.

I get nice clean feet and a great smelling pack.

Rub a dub

in the tub. I always wash my packs (small or expedition) in the tub with regular (powder) laundry detergent. The main thing is to "bounce" the padding part on the the floor many times to pump water in and out of the mesh fabric. Rinse in 2 distinct batches of water. Woolite ? I think not. BTW, some people wash their waterproof/breathable garments with Wooolite which is a no-no because it leaves a lanolin residu that clogs the pores.