Washington via Jewell 4/19/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rols

Reaction score
date: 4/19/08

Conditions: The trail was a mix of flowing water, rock and snow. Snow depth from trail head to tree line varied from a foot to much deeper. Above tree line there were some stretches of snow but more rock. As the day warmed there were stretches of flowing water.

Equipment: An early start allowed me to bare boot to the summit. Staying dead center was necessary or significant postholing would occur. There were plenty of deep postholes all along the trail. In retrospect I should have worn snowshoes on the ascent (I wouldn't have had to spend so much time with step location). I found the descent required snowshoes both for traction and to prevent postholing. They allowed for an enjoyable descent and packed the trail a bit.

Code:
Comments:
It was incredible day to be above tree line. Temps were in the 50's with 5-10 mph winds. Visibility was great. It was one of the nicest days I've encountered on Washington It turned out to be a very social day. I kept meeting VFTT people (Ed Hawkins, Blaze, Little Sister, MEB, Paradox, etc.). My thanks to Ed for the invite to head to Jefferson. Met some new people during the day as well. Everyone was in high spirits...just enjoying a very special day.