Water along the AT/LT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fox

Reaction score
Over the holiday weekend I hiked from the Rt 8 in MA to Rt 11/30 in VT.

FWIW - Water was in very short supply. If you catch and treat you may have problems keeping yourself in good water. I pump/filter and there were stretches we had difficulty finding water that was decent enough even for that. The shelters we stopped at were all fairly good.

What I saw:
Mark Noepel - low flow
after Bascom Lodge we saw nothing until Sherman Brook - everything was dry
Pete's Spring - clear and sweet
Seth Warner - no information (sorry, we didn't stop)
Congdon - down to a trickle
Nauheim Melville - nasty and stagnant
Goddard - clear and sweet, flowing
Kid Gore - trickle
Story Spring - clear and sweet
Stratton - flowing
Willaim B Douglas (did not see but the caretaker at Stratton related) - clear and flowing
Spruce Peak - dry

Many of the small streams you would normally rely on to supplement your supply between shelters are dry.

Tough situation. Be careful out there.

It really is a big concern this year. I wonder how this summer shapes up against summers of the last 10-20 years in terms of average rainfall.

It certainly been a horrendous year to be chasing waterfalls or going canoeing/kayaking on rivers, that's for sure.

Many of the small streams you would normally rely on to supplement your supply between shelters are dry.
Actually many of the best water sources are not at shelters if you are tenting anyway and trust your treatment method - I've never seen Roaring Branch, Sucker Pond, or Stratton Pond go dry