water levels, north twin little river crossings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
Did NH get enough rain yesterday (9/19) to make the river crossings difficult heading up to North Twin? I was in Crawford Notch last weekend and it was all so dry dry dry that streams were nothing. Any 411 on the North Twin area, post-rain would be helpful.

Thank you!

--Carla

Not at all. The USGS gage I follow for the 3rd crossing (the one that can't be avoided) I like to see around 200-250 cfs for a relatively easy crossing. This morning's reading was under 50 cfs. Unless we get more rain later in the week it should be no problem doing any of the crossings.

The Pemi had a tenth of a foot bump from the rain yesterday :) That's a bit more than 1 inch. 45 cfps to 60 cfps and now down to 53 cfps. 150 cfps or less means you can get to Owl's Head across both brooks with dry feet. Probably can cross the Pemi itself right now with relative ease.

Tim

The Pemi had a tenth of a foot bump from the rain yesterday :) That's a bit more than 1 inch. 45 cfps to 60 cfps and now down to 53 cfps. 150 cfps or less means you can get to Owl's Head across both brooks with dry feet. Probably can cross the Pemi itself right now with relative ease.

Tim

Two weeks ago I rocked hopped the span where the old bridge was on the Wilderness Trail with dry feet. Was shocking to see how low the water is. I thought last year was bad.

Two weeks ago I rocked hopped the span where the old bridge was on the Wilderness Trail with dry feet. Was shocking to see how low the water is. I thought last year was bad.

I'm pretty sure I could walk across the Merrimack in Manchester right now... probably knee deep... maybe thigh. I can see the bottom from the pedestrian bridge all the way across.

Tim

Wow, that is low! Thanks for all the info--does make me think about certain routes that are usually a bit daunting, now a lot less so....