We got fooled at Mizpah!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LenDawg

Reaction score
Mother nature woke up on April 1st and decided to pull her own prank on everyone in Northern New Hampshire. She gave us the most beautiful day of the year.

Chinooktrail and I headed out to hit both Pierce and Jackson. We parked at the Highland Center and headed up the Clinton Connector to the Crawford Path. This was my first time up the bottom stretch of the Crawford Path. I have heard so much about this trail, but hadn't had the opportunity of hiking it. What a beautiful trail on a beautiful day. The trail was packed down with sections of slippery snow and ice. I chose to wear Yak Traks for a bit of additional traction. Chinooktrail bare-booted for the entire hike. We took our time, enjoying a nice hike and talk up the oldest trail in America.

We made it to the tree line and started our way up Pierce when Dr. Wu appeared and made his introduction. It was a pleasure to finally meet someone who's writings I have followed for the last two years. He seemed to be enjoying the serenity of the day so we parted ways and continued up to the summit of Pierce. While there, we enjoyed our sandwiches and moved around the summit to get different views and play the fun game of 'name the peak'.

After a nice half hour or more of leisurely enjoying the most beautiful days on the summit of Pierce, we decided to proceed down the Webster Cliff Trail toward Mizpah Hut and Jackson. Tine had fun watching me take a nice header into the snow :eek: .

We made good time heading down to the Mizpah Hut where we took another quick break and Christine got a chance to sun-bathe (and burn :mad: ).

This is where the best April Fools prank occured. We almost headed down the Mt. Clinton Trail :eek: , but rebounded quickly to head down the Wbster Cliff Tr... no, wait, we ended up on the Mizpah Cutoff!! :confused:

Yeah, we missed the turnoff. We did a quick attempt at finding the trail via bushwhack, but that didn't work.

Oh well, the day was getting shorter, and the weather was too nice... time to head home. We continued down to the Crawford Path and back out to Rte. 302.

Tine, thank you for yet another awesome hike. Next time, we will make sure we have a camera!