Welch-Dickey Quickie, 4/13/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
April 13, 2013: Welch – Dickey Loop

Trails: Welch-Dickey Loop Trail

Summits: Welch Mountain, Dickey Mountain

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

We had afternoon and evening plans but wanted to hike if possible. A short hike for the morning was all we had time for and the Welch-Dickey Loop fit the bill perfectly. I’ve never hiked this area but Sue had completed the loop once before. The White Mountain Guide indicated a counter-clockwise approach to the loop was best due to the open ledge slabs on the Welch Mountain side and the problems they presented on descent.

We left the trailhead lot and immediately made the right to head off in a counter-clockwise direction. Everything was covered in a layer of fresh overnight snow. At the trailhead the ground had a thin covering (~1”) and it increased to perhaps ~2” at the higher elevations. The warm conditions made for wet, sticky snow that generally helped with footing. The low part of the trail leading to Welch Mountain was typical spring conditions; a little mud, melting snow, wet roots, and patches of ice to watch for. The trail was loaded with these small obstacles but we managed to escape them all.

As we gained elevation the trail surface became fully ice covered with a layer of the new snow. We continued bare booting the hike but I think we both knew it wouldn’t last. Eventually, we made a turn in the trail and started up the first exposed ledge. The ledge was partially melted off and partially iced over, and on top of everything was the overnight snow. Carefully we made our way up this initial ledge. Soon we came to another and decided it was time for the MICROSpikes. A little help with traction was all we would need. The MICROSpikes did the job but I think there were times when we were pushing them to the limit of their intended use.

We stepped onto a large area of flat ledge that probably has some pretty nice views at times, but this wasn’t the time. We had solid, low clouds in the area and there were no views to enjoy. We located the trail exit and continued our climb. From the open area the climb became a little more interesting. The ledge became steeper and icier. In many places a slip would probably leave a mark.

As we climbed we met a large group descending. They had a couple dogs, some had light traction, and some were bare booting their hike; none appeared to be enjoying the day. Comments were made concerning the slippery conditions that seemed to get worse with elevation. We all continued on our way. The ledge offered a fun combination of steep, icy slabs and short scrambles to ascend. We made our way up the open ledges generally climbing straight up instead of “side hilling” any of it. I’ve found MICROSpikes, especially worn MICROSpikes offer limited side traction and seem to perform best straight up or straight down. We completed the climb to the summit without a problem.

High on Welch Mountain we needed to make a quick stop for a snowman distraction. Sue went to work and in no time there was a happy snowman along side of the trail. Sadly, he probably didn’t make it through the day; but he was smiling the last time I saw him.

At the summit area we had limited views to enjoy. We got our usual summit pictures and continued on our loop. The walk from Welch Mountain to the summit of Dickey Mountain is a short one with some ledge to descend from Welch and thick conifers on the climb to Dickey. In the conifers it was like a rain storm. The new snow was melting from the trees, and it was pretty wet. Instead of stopping to pull out our rain jackets we just kept moving. The rain didn’t last long and we were soon on the summit with more views to enjoy. I’m sure on a clear day this hike has tremendous 360 degree views. One of the nice things about hiking with Sue is we didn’t have a clear day, but it was still a good day. There was no reason to hang around on the summit after getting the usual pictures and we started down.

Descending from Dickey included more open ledge that was snow and ice-covered. The steepness wasn’t as great as on Welch Mountain but the descent still required a significant amount of caution. We worked our way down each section, in some cases leaving the tracked route to descend straight downhill, or stay high. Eventually we were back in the conifers and working on the last of the ledges.

The remaining hike to the trailhead went without any surprises. The lower we descended the more open the trail became. Eventually, a short distance before reaching the trailhead we stopped to retire the MICROSpikes, and then we were soon in the trail head lot.

Pictures will follow.

:)

Earl - Make this loop a priority when the weather's good, and you'll discover this hike has some of the biggest bang for the buck of most trails around. And it's steepness guarantees a good workout as well. It's a gem.

Earl - Make this loop a priority when the weather's good, and you'll discover this hike has some of the biggest bang for the buck of most trails around. And it's steepness guarantees a good workout as well. It's a gem.
I second the motion.

Also, there are some nice open slabs north of Dickey that are worth visiting. (One can find a route that is entirely on open rock.)

Doug

I saw a S&R helicopter land on those slabs awhile back. It was midweek and I think they were on practice run.

Also, there are some nice open slabs north of Dickey that are worth visiting.

Also, if you're there the right time of year, that loop is one of the best places I know of for blueberries.

--

Cumulus

NE111: 104/115 (67/67, 35/46, 2/2); Cat35: 22/39; WNH4K: 29/48; NEFF: 30/50
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

I second the motion.

Also, there are some nice open slabs north of Dickey that are worth visiting. (One can find a route that is entirely on open rock.)

Doug

Kevin & Doug,

Thanks. I'm sure the place will get more time from me to do some exploring. Next time will be in better conditions, although the day we had was very enjoyable.

Also, if you're there the right time of year, that loop is one of the best places I know of for blueberries.
Cumulus,

The trouble I have with blueberries; once I start it's really hard to stop.

Thanks for the warning.

;)

Now that you dont have lists to work on its time to stop and taste the blueberries:)